Shpxvat Cneg C ( Building control)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just spoken to my LABC. For me to do a DIY rewire, they want me to submit a Building Notice (and £193). Then, upon completion, they want me to get it tested and send them the test results, after which they'll issue a completion cert.

I mentioned the letter from the ODPM which says they can't do that. His answer was "this is the procedure in Bedford, sir".

So what can I do to sort this out? Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
THEY need to get it tested. THEY pay for the spark to come and test it. This is part of YOUR FEE TO THEM. Tell them their procedure is breaking the rules and it smells. If no luck, give ban their phone number. ;)

You see this is my worry, having read all Ban's posts and the stuff on the odpm site, i know my rights.

But if they still refuse, then what can I do?

Shpxvat Cneg C??

maybe its a silly q but what does the title of your post mean?

Sponsored Links
slippyr4 said:
For me to do a DIY rewire, they want me to submit a Building Notice (and £193). Then, upon completion, they want me to get it tested and send them the test results, after which they'll issue a completion cert.

Just dont bother getting it tested - they will get in touch and ask why you haven't. Tell them you are waiting for their spark to come and test it. This is what their procedure should be. Tell them they've had several years (i think) to get their backsides into gear and employ someone qualified to test installations for part p, and its just not good enough that they couldn't be bothered to do this.

If they still refuse, ask for the £193 back, since they haven't done the work this money was supposed to pay for!

pipme said:
Mr Winston said:
Shpxvat Cneg C??

Is it something rude about 'part p' ?

:?:

ROT 13 encryption...whereby each letter is transposed by 13 characters...

translates at F**king Part P

Dan

crafty1289 said:
slippyr4 said:
For me to do a DIY rewire, they want me to submit a Building Notice (and £193). Then, upon completion, they want me to get it tested and send them the test results, after which they'll issue a completion cert.

Just dont bother getting it tested - they will get in touch and ask why you haven't. Tell them you are waiting for their spark to come and test it. This is what their procedure should be. Tell them they've had several years (i think) to get their backsides into gear and employ someone qualified to test installations for part p, and its just not good enough that they couldn't be bothered to do this.

If they still refuse, ask for the £193 back, since they haven't done the work this money was supposed to pay for!

Of course the obvious fault in this approach is that its almost certain that fault will be found with your work and youll have to do remedials (probably letter of the law things e.g cable supports spaced to far apart)and theyll refuse to certify

Crikey they must want to bend you over backwards and spank you very hard.

My LABC adopted the same tactics as yous albeit I only had to pay £90, I sent them a polite fax with a note from the ODPM website and low and behold 30 mins later they agree to come round to test out my electrics.

But i suppose it does help being in law and all that :D

If they want to be gits about it, I would just do the work and not tell them. If they can't be bothered to keep their end of the bargain why should you?

Lorraine

danbutcher said:
pipme said:
Mr Winston said:
Shpxvat Cneg C??

Is it something rude about 'part p' ?

:?:

ROT 13 encryption...whereby each letter is transposed by 13 characters...

translates at F**king Part P

Dan

Leave people to do a little investigating for themselves then ! ;) :D :D

Of course the obvious fault in this approach is that its almost certain that fault will be found with your work and youll have to do remedials (probably letter of the law things e.g cable supports spaced to far apart)and theyll refuse to certify

Quite likely. However, so far, i've got clips bloody everywhere. Not that I've already started or anything, that'd be naughty.

My other half is a solictor so should be able to spank them a bit i hope.

Why not phone them back, ask them to put that in a letter as you have a problem with short term memory, then when the letter arrives you make a formal complaint ot both the ODPM and the Local Authority Ombudsman.

They are breaking the law and technically commiting fraud.

there's a local authority ombudsman?? cool.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

i think i'm going send the bulding notice off on monday, then when i finish the rewire ring them up and say come and test it then. when they say no, i'll start argueing the toss. there's always the local tabloid sunday paper. they like digging at the council.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

and there's always a bit of 4" be 2" ;)

slippyr4 please note 10 a

sorry mr moderator. consider me firmly told off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back