Building Notice, Completion of Work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, Just received this through the post from the LABC. I was expecting a 'Completion Certificate' as mentioned in Part P of the building regulations. What I received was a 'Building Notice Completion if Work' letter. The LABC seem to think that they don't have to issue a completion certificate. Actually I think they used an approved inspector (they subcontracted the inspection and test). Do you think this counts as a 'Final Certificate' as mentioned in Part P?

To put everyone in the picture the council came out at 1st and 2nd fix to inspect and test. They filled in the inspection and test parts of BS7671 forms (with results for the 2 circuits) and asked me to fill in the design and installation parts.

Why do you think they are not issuing a completion certifcate? Do you think I should push them for that? Looks like they are saying that the installation should be safe but aren't really sure...kind of a cop out I'm thinking. Steve.

CompletionofWorks.jpg

Sponsored Links
In SI 1996:1905 the government said:
Final Certificates
. For subsection (1) of section 51 of the 1984 Act, there shall be substituted the following subsection—

" (1) Where an approved inspector is satisfied that any work to which an initial notice given by him relates has been completed, he shall give to the local authority by whom the initial notice was accepted such certificate with respect to the completion of the work and the discharge of his functions as may be prescribed (called a "final certificate")."

Thanks for the reply. So do you think it is normal that the LABC are not issuing a formal completion certificate? Do you think this is a 'final certificate'? Steve.

Softus said:
In SI 1996:1905 the government said:
Final Certificates
. For subsection (1) of section 51 of the 1984 Act, there shall be substituted the following subsection—

" (1) Where an approved inspector is satisfied that any work to which an initial notice given by him relates has been completed, he shall give to the local authority by whom the initial notice was accepted such certificate with respect to the completion of the work and the discharge of his functions as may be prescribed (called a "final certificate")."

Is this an attempt for Irrelavent post of the month- you WIN

You have quoted blurb about approved inspectors, initial notices and final certificates all of which have nothing to do with LA Builidng Control

The leter you have for the building notice for electrics seems ok, , it says it complies with P1 so no need to worry :D

Sponsored Links
Well I would not award the council a crystal mark for clarity

hahahahahahahahahahahha

hahahahahahahahaha

hahahaha

ha

tsst

steve1811uk said:
Thanks for the reply. So do you think it is normal that the LABC are not issuing a formal completion certificate? Do you think this is a 'final certificate'? Steve.

Steve, below is an extract from Part P so don't worry, you've got the piece of paper you need to prove your installation meets all parts of the building regs including P1.

ppextract.png

Pensdown said:
Steve, below is an extract from Part P...
I'm curious to know which edition of the Building Regulations you extracted that from. :confused:

That document is advisory, has no legal standing, and contains errors.

I'm a bit busy at the moment so I would like to be the first to nominate you to argue the rights and wrongs of section 1.27 with BC. ;)

Sorry - that would be far too easy, and I only take on challenges. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back