Shrinkage crack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View media item 105265
View media item 105264
Hi,

Interested in people’s views about how serious and the nature of these cracks. They are the only two cracks in the house, one goes between the left hand side of the two windows from the top of one to the bottom of the other, the second crack is maybe 2/3 of the way across the same window and goes half way up from bottom window. Both straight through bricks and mortar.

It’s no thicker than a finger nail, same width, it’s doesn’t get bigger or smaller at either end.

It’s a 6 year old house, timber frame. Doesn’t extend into damp course etc.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Comptp, good evening.

Roughly how wide is the elevation with these cracks?

Is there a purpose built full height vertical expansion / contraction joint on the elevation

Hate to ask but is it possible to get a further image of the entire elevation???

Ken.

Cheers for coming back Ken, I can get you a night shot with flash...

As for your first and second question, after a bit of Googling. No obvious expansion joint running anywhere I can see on this side of the house or anywhere else. It’s a new house built by a mainstream developer... not sure if that helps

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thbqks

Attachments

• 0DCDC61F-8511-4D23-9D2C-0A360A5E0074.jpeg
    0DCDC61F-8511-4D23-9D2C-0A360A5E0074.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Looks like its caused by shrinkage of the panel (the elevation) and probably due to having painted it.

Not a structural concern buy you may want to carefully fill it with a paintable flexible mastic - polysulfide or a polymer based type, not silicone which can't be painted over .... and try and make it not look like a vertical line!

Thanks. That’s really helpful. I’ll have a go!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back