Shuttering vs hardwood ply for van floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - currently converting a van and am a little confused between shuttering (which I also assume is the same as sheathing) and hardwood ply which I need for the floor. It will be on top of timber battens which are filled with celotex. I've read conflicting info online so was hoping for some help from some kind folks. From what I can see the sheathing stuff is softwood and therefore lighter which is a big win for the van, but I can't tell what the compromise is in strength. It will be covered in vinyl flooring and need it to be tough, but many seem to state that somehow the sheathing stuff is as strong or stronger. Thoughts appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I'd go for the hardwood Ply as it is likely to be more stable and consistent thickness. It is also more likely to be water resistant which under vinyl is important.

If it is covered, softwood would be fine.
Keep weight down.
Is this a camper?

I'd go for the hardwood Ply as it is likely to be more stable and consistent thickness. It is also more likely to be water resistant which under vinyl is important.

Thanks - is that because of the glue? (celetox below is foil taped for vapour barrier which continues all around)

Sponsored Links
If it is covered, softwood would be fine.
Keep weight down.
Is this a camper?

Yes, that's right, citroen relay campervan. Will be covered with vinyl floor which i'll just get from a roll (not the individual strip stuff)

If I had to choose I would, as suggested above, go for ply - but Dylan T why not first have a look at you tube vids of Americans fixing up their family campers and work vans.
There's some ingenious ideas on show.

yes 12mm[11.5] ply is by far the lightest assuming 44-50mm bearers spaced ideally 400-450 centres stretching towards 500 at a push but avoid higher iff you can
general comments avoid chipboard and mdf as very heavy and not suitable
try and plan with every area and item having two or more uses

Thanks - is that because of the glue? (celetox below is foil taped for vapour barrier which continues all around)
Mainly 'cause the source timber is better quality, cut thinner so more ply's and and more bonding glues and bonding pressure.

If I had to choose I would, as suggested above, go for ply - but Dylan T why not first have a look at you tube vids of Americans fixing up their family campers and work vans.
There's some ingenious ideas on show.
Indeed , look to USA for ingenious and tricky dodges . We have had a couple of USA contributors - ree springs to mind . Use the search box in the top right of the page- you can search topics and members posts there.(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back