Sick Etesia mower (with Suzuki engine)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

my decidedly 2nd hand Etesia hasn't run for a year or so, so I gave it a clean up at the weekend; poured the old petrol and 2-stroke out (it was quite "gummy"), cleaned the air filter and replaced the spark plug.

The old plug (which has probably only seen ~six hours of use) was very sooty.

Put it all back together again and the good news is that it's now starting, but it's "hunting" at any revs and puffing out white smoke. See (and hear!) video below;

(I was varying the revs - each time the camera moves is me turning it up or down, but then you can hear it hunting at each speed)

Cheers
Scott

Sponsored Links
Just for now, make sure the air filter is clean (run the machine temporarily without it to check).
Don't overdo the oil / petrol mix......that's the only thing that causes smoke in a two stroke motor! Personally I'd keep it around 40:1 mix.
John :)

Just for now, make sure the air filter is clean (run the machine temporarily without it to check).
Don't overdo the oil / petrol mix......that's the only thing that causes smoke in a two stroke motor! Personally I'd keep it around 40:1 mix.

Funnily enough, I pulled the filter off and it immediately stalled! I didn't restart it without the filter, but I'll certainly give that a try.

I suspect you're right about the oil and that I've been over-feeding it. I'll brim the tank and give the old girl a bit of a slosh around :D

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you can give us a close up pic of the carb, maybe we can identify it.
Regarding the two stroke mix, chainsaws use a 50:1 mix using special synthetic oil - and they work much harder than mowers!
Using a semi synthetic oil like Oregon red, don't mix any heavier than 25:1 or it will smoke like hell - hence my 40:1 comment.

OK - new video with the air filter off, and same behaviour (if a little louder).

I'm not blipping the throttle - that's the mower itself going up and down the revs.
I turned it down around 27 seconds in and back up again at 37 seconds.

Apologies for the on-the-side vid, but the audio is more important than the vid!

This is the carburetor;

Any suggestions appreciated!

The carburetor looks similar but there are a number of differences with the rest of the diagram.

The air filter is a horizontal, whereas the diagram's seems to be vertical. The top of the engine and exhaust seem different, too.

The mower is an Etesia 46 Pro with a Suzuki engine, if that helps?

You still thinking the diaphragm?

Thanks for the help.

No pump diaphragm on that one, but its dead simple to strip the carb for a clean....removing the float bowl wil likely reveal and rust particles or previous water ingress.

Consider giving it a workout (dry out) to see if things improve, the sump could be full of old oil, needs burning out ............
Better put a filter on first, or the neighbours will report you ............ :)

No pump diaphragm on that one, but its dead simple to strip the carb for a clean....removing the float bowl wil likely reveal and rust particles or previous water ingress.

Cheers John - I'll give it a strip and attack it with my air gun :)

Good idea....release the carb from its bolts, this will allow you to disconnect the linkage rods.
After that, its float bowl off, release the float from its pin (the needle valve is captive to a degree) and unscrew the central main jet.
Above that is an emulsion tube which usually falls down - it has several tiny drillings that must be clear.
The pilot jet for slow running maybe accessible below a screw on the top of the carb, depending on the age....anyway, the air feeds to this are the small drillings separate from the main choke - visible in the lower pic.
Some aerosol carb cleaner is very useful for cleaning these out!
Be lucky

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back