Champion mower stopped & now unable to start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cutting grass this morning i felt that the mower wasnt as good as normal,i put it down to the grass being longer due to all the rain we had.
This afternoon i did another large garden & was fine for say 20 minutes but then it felt as if i was having to push it harder, yet again i put it down to the grass.
Whilst going up a bank i could here the revs starting to come down then the mower stopped.
I thought fuel so i went for my botle but noticed by the little amount i put in it that fuel wasnt the issue.

Now home i removed fuel pipe at carb & fuel flows.
Spark seemed weak but it was sunny & as i didnt have another i put it in my strimmer & first pull it started & run fine so i would say pl;ug ok.
I removed the recoil & operated it & fine so re-fitted it.

Ive cleaned that little rectangle switch by the flywheel & when operated you can hear it make contact as it clicks.
Air filter off & fuel poured in but still wont start.
Plug out & fuel poured in but still wont start.

What i did notice is when i rotate the blade around under the deck at the same point i hear a squeak.
I removed the recoil & spun it by hand to when i could hear the squeak then marked the white fin on the flywheel.
Spun it around by hand & each time the marked fin came to the same place it squeaked.

Ran out of ideas as to whet is going on & how to fix it

Champion R484 with self propell

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If moving parts aren't getting lubricated, friction build-up can slow the engine. Checked the oil level?

A lack of fuel into the engine issue then. Check fuel is flowing to carb, then you need to check the carb itself.
Ok
I did rule that out as there is a filter on the tank & also one inline so thought any chance of rubbish would of been caught. Removing pipe at carb fuel flows.

If moving parts aren't getting lubricated, friction build-up can slow the engine. Checked the oil level?
Ok thanks i will check.
Last time I checked oil it was fine. I never have any oil in the floor so assumed that oil level would be ok.

The brake band is 2” away from the flywheel? Sorry, I don’t understand that one.
Anyway, is the engine free to spin now? It may well restart as things have cooled down.
However, if the engine only fires once but doesn’t run, that could indicate something else.
John

Maybe i got brake band name wrong,
The part i mean is also connected with a bracket that makes contact with that cut out switch.

Checking the oil it was low.
I am now able to turn the flywheel with no squeak.

Fuel pipe was hard so broke so now need to go locate pipe.

I had the carb off & can blow through fine,also jet was cleaned out after float bowl remoed, also that metal brass piece below it with say 6 holes in it

Last edited:
I have now looked at that contact switch & did the following.
When its in situ i did a continuity test & my meter beeps as it is or when i press the spring contact bar which is when i hear the click.
So beeps all the time.

Remove the switch from the mower & then it beeps & is silenced when i the operate the spring contact on / off

In the video clip above it sounds like its not firing.
Using a plug tester i put between plug cap & plug & i see a spark.
Unable to test plug on mower so as mentioned before i put the plug in my strimmer & starts / runs fine.

Does this issue sound like spark or fuel ?

Strange as i would say i have both BUT plug is dry

Last edited:
Borrowed a compression test & after 3/4 pulls tester needle doesn’t move.

So valve or piston ?
What do you think

Head off & don’t see any issues with the piston, valves etc & no scoring in the bore.

Short video clip which after two cycles of the valves opening & closing you will bear the smaller valve “inlet ?” Click ???

Valve clicking video.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back