Champion mower stopped & now unable to start

Sponsored Links
But when you pull the starter cord the compression should go into the tester & the tester hold it there,each pull of the cord should bump the needle up a little.
Once finished you press the release button on the tester to let out that whosh of ait etc BUT THERE WAS NONE

The needle didnt even move & if it did its minimal.

Head off & don’t see any issues with the position, valves etc & no scoring in the bore.

Short video clip which after two cycles of the valves opening & closing you will bear the smaller valve “inlet ?” Click ???

Valve clicking video.

It might be the inlet valve sticking a little, then suddenly freeing, closing under valve spring pressure.

Sponsored Links
Ok think we are getting crossed wires.
I mentioned about no compression THEN i took the head off.
If compression was there then the gauge would show it.

With no compression then thats why i removed the head.

Do you know what the clicking might be ?

Raing hard here so when it stops i will see about taking off the valve cover & see what happens

On side valve engines, the exhaust valve seat comes loose, lifts and jams the valve open.....
Very hard to spot until it happens!
John

So in my video the small valve is the one that clicks on one of its cycles.
First cycle no noise, second cycle as valve is going down to its seat there is a click.

Same over & over.

So I await what you say about which valve it is.

As Burnerman said - and ex. valves are usually the smaller of the 2 . seat is probably lifting up + down.

Ah ok.

Now need to think about compressing the spring without the correct tool.

I think from memory these just to to one side once over the valve.

Hi,
Today I removed the valves & took a look.
Valve seats are intact & not come loose.
Valves are not burnt out either.
Cleaned valves & put them back in the engine.

So am I correct in saying that if the rings broke it would either smoke bad & or leave score marks in the bore.

I ask as no smoking & bore is nice condition with no scores.

So this leave me with head gasket of which I’ve ordered one.

What do you think about this now.

Ps
One thing I noticed was the larger valve had its spring & retaining collar & say another circular part with a hole in the centre.

The small valve only had its spring & retaining collar.

I’m not saying that the valve seat was definitely loose, but it’s not uncommon when the engine gets hot.
When it cools, it may grip again so problems may not be obvious.
Broken piston rings can’t be seen without removing the piston, but a very worn bore will cause the engine to smoke.
At this point, see that there is a small clearance between the valve stems and their lifters - simple as the springs are out.
Give us a picture of the valve retainers please!
I don’t bother measuring the compression on these engines, if your thumb blows off the plug hole when you are cranking it will probably be ok.
John

I’ve just been able to access your video on post #12.
Did you notice at the click, the exhaust valve was hardly opening?
John

I was just reporting back about valve seats & other things etc.

I’ve now put it back together & awaiting a head gasket.

I won’t be taking the piston out but I think rings isn’t the problem.
There was no smoking either.

On assembly & turning the flywheel around the clicking on the small valve is still there. I think it might be some kind of decompression thing where it makes starting easier ???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back