Siemens dishwasher E23 error

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
My Siemens dishwasher suffered from E15 error. After switching off/on the drain motor was rotating constantly so after doing the usual checks (filter, drain moter rotating freely, outlet hose, U bend) I pulled it out, rocked it forward and it worked for a while. This process was followed a couple more times until I interrupted the machine mid-cycle one time (by opening the door) whereupon an immediate E23 appeared. I can switch the machine off at the wall to get rid of the E23 code but as soon as I try another cycle the E23 code reappears after a couple of seconds. It appears that he drain pump tries to start up though. At least thats what it sounds like from the outside.
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Update. I've got the LHS off and find this contraption. There seem to be 2 waste hoses at the bottom LHS. One from the drain pump? and the other to the outside.
a) what is this contraption? and
b) can I just pull both hoses off and join them?

Attachments

• 20220919_171846 - Copy.jpg
    20220919_171846 - Copy.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 219
Might you have damaged the drain pump seal when attempting the earlier repair, allowing water into the workings of it and the related circuit board that I believe is built in?

Blup

No.
My earlier repairs were conducted without removing any covers.
I have now checked the hose from the pump outlet to the contraption I posted a picture of. It was clear of restrictions but full of water, as I expected.
Do you have any idea what the darkened areas of the picture I posted are? I get the feeling that this is an area where floating oil and grease could be shoved up as the machine empties.

Maybe this needs cleaning out? If so, how?

I'm tempted to by-pass the contraption altogether.

Sponsored Links
By passed the contraption and same thing happened. Removed the drain pump, found no blockages and the pump moves freely. Decided to buy a new (compatible) pump off ebay and try that. I may be wasting £22 but even the chance of saving the £500+ a new dishwasher would cost has gotta be worth a go.

Thanks Assuhors, Any idea what that discolouration on the LHS of the heat exchanger is and if it might affect the operation of the machine?

As you suspect, the discolouration is grease and gunge from the wash. There's a little moving plunger thing in the rectangular bit at the top. Some of sort of air admittance/vent valve. It's tricky but you can clean it out although it won't outright stop the machine working.

Your Siemens machine is the same as Bosch machines - you can find the service manual if you have a look around on the net.

I don't know if this will work, but it is worth a try...

My mum's Miele washing machine recently flagged up a similar "blockage" code. I turned up, removed the impellor filter and blew through the the waste pipe. Loads of gunk came out. The next wash was fine but I suggested that she run a couple of 90 degree washes.

Admittedly, a dishwasher is different. You may however find that blowing through will dislodge enough carp [sic] to empty the crud.

Thanks T&B. I cannot find a vent hole anywhere near that square bit. Is it at the rear of the heat exchanger contraption?
If so, any tips for removing it so as to access the vent hole?

Opps, the waste path from drain motor to the end of the waste hose is clear. The only blockage is as mentioned in the post above.
I guess the vent/plunger is there to release any trapped air no? If blocked, perhaps with air in the system, the drain motor would have to work extra hard to drain the water thus eventually causing premature failure?

Guess I need to clean it out.

All sggestions as to how to do this gratefully recieved.

Well, the drain pump arrived. I popped it on and no E23. I ran a 15min cycle and all went well untill the final drain (1 min left on the cycle) whereupon the drain pump turned over (and stopped) 3 times before flagging up an E25 error.

I searched on this forum for that error and found this well written analysis:

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/bosch-dishwasher-not-draining.32108/post-1583512

Tried to follow the steps but couldn't manage without drilling a couple of holes in the heat exchanger to allow me to insert wire/compressed air in to clean out the grease. The grease seems to be cleaning out but the next problem is to effect a watertight seal over the holes I have drilled.

Any ideas?

Success...of a sort.

All the congealed fat is now removed and the same thing happened but then it struck me that when I installed the pump I neglected to reinstall the little white clip that fits where the impellor faces the sump. Replaced that and the 15 min cycle finished. No error codes.

Wot an eejit I am.

As Tea & biscuits said earlier, If I had put the white clip back, the machine would probably have worked!

I now have water coming out of the holes that I drilled in the HE when the drain pump operates so the next job is to patch these holes.

I've asked this particular question on another thread and been told fibreglass should be used.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how?

I'm keen to get the dishwasher back in service tomorrow.

There is a product JB Weld sold on Amazon for metal high heat applications, apply with disposable syringe

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back