Silavent Centrifugal Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently bought a flat and have inherited a bathroom equipped with an old approx 25 year old Silavent centrifugal extractor fan which is not currently working. Also could clearly do with a clean!

I just wanted to check if (by my pictures), the wiring to the light is correct. My hunch is that it has just given up the ghost but the light fixture and wiring was a bit dubious so I'm not sure if the previous occupant has wired it back up correctly!

Thanks

Kevin
bath1.jpg
bath2.jpg
bath3.jpg
bath4.jpg

Sponsored Links
The last picture suggests the wiring includes permanent live, switched live, and neutral. You can test this with a multimeter.

This is so the fan can include a timer, and run on for a timed period after the light has been switched off.

I can't make out from your bundle of wires if they include both L and SL. If they do, it is an advantage in a bathroom, as the timed period will help dry it after use. Your multimeter will tell you. It will also work on SL only, but without the timer.

You can get a modern fan to fit your 100mm duct that will be very quiet. You need one with a ball-bearing motor because it is mounted vertically. Can you find out the nominal air throughout of your old fan? About 80 cubic metres per hour is typical of a small fan. If you can get access to the duct above the ceiling you can fit a much more powerful, but equally quiet one.

Last edited:
The last picture suggests the wiring includes permanent live, switched live, and neutral. You can test this with a multimeter.

This is so the fan can include a timer, and run on for a timed period after the light has been switched off.

I can't make out from your bundle of wires if they include both L and SL. If they do, it is an advantage in a bathroom, as the timed period will help dry it after use. Your multimeter will tell you.

I think I saw Aldi have a budget meter in the Central Aisle this week.

You can get a modern fan to fit your 100mm duct that will be very quiet. You need one with a ball-bearing motor because it is mounted vertically. Can you find out the nominal air throughout of your old fan? About 80 cubic metres per hour is typical of a small fan. If you can get access to the duct above the ceiling you can fit a much more powerful, but equally quiet one.

The ducting is some sort of galvanised steel flat channel duct. I'm assuming it's because it's in flat and the void is so /narrow. I'm wondering if I can get some sort of adaptor from flat to a round 100mm duct to give me more options extractor-wise

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
Bumping this as I replaced this unit back in September, but I recently have tried to adjust the overrun timer (as per the manufacturers instructions) to reduce the time but now the overrun does not stop when the light has switched off. I have to switch off the lights at the MCB to stop it. To be honest, I would be happier without the overrun. Is there a way of disabling this function?

Connect the Switched Live wire to both L and Timer terminal with a short link wire and put the Permanent Live wire in a connector block so that it cannot touch anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back