Silence Texecom bell whilst replacing panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing a Premier 48 with Premier Elite 48 panel this weekend.

The new panel has all the config from the old panel already set, but including the extra 50 users which didn't fit on our old panel (hence the upgrade).

However when I turned off the old panel last week, to temporarily install the ComIP and download data to Wintex, the exterior bell went off. I had logged into Engineer before I turned it off, in the hope this would convince it I was an authorised user, but apparently not.

Is there a way to silence the bell by shorting/cutting/disconnecting bell wires at the panel, or changing a setting in Engineer, before I kill the power, whilst I do the upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Sponsored Links
How old is the old prem 48?
The new elite will have a different power supply and you would need to change rear white pcb supprt plate !
If you down powered panel mains and battery then the outside bell will ring.
It depends on how you want to silence bell?
Ladders may be required but could be silenced other ways

I've got whole new 'white box' with the power supply and everything.

I can't get ladders up to the bell - it's too high. :(

Sponsored Links
If its a texecom bell, toggle the strobe on then off 3 times. This will enable hold off mode and bell will not sound when powered down.

Thanks, I googled "Hold off" and found it mentioned in the installation manual (Bell Test omit) plus another post elsewhere which explained how to toggle the strobe by shorting 0v and strobe-

(I wasn't sure which of the +12v and/or 0v I should be shorting to)

Peter

Everything went ok with the upgrade, including Hold Off whilst I did the swap.

However the internal speaker isn't working with the new panel - have the requirements for speakers changed between old Prem 48's and Elite 88's? Doing an engineer bell test works, but a speaker test doesn't.

It's the one thing I didn't order when I got the kit; I've got the new keypads and biscuit modules etc ready for our expansion, but I wasn't intending changing the speaker.

Peter

A standard 16ohm speaker is what should be connected. Try quickly tapping the speaker wires in the panel to the (unconnected) battery you should hear a crackle from speaker, this will prove your connected to the speaker & that it works then test cable etc. Theres a few options in programming too. Global options> speaker tones > toggle on/off tones you req. Also area options > Panel Speaker. TBH the speaker is the most easiest bit usually.

Last edited:
Checked all those settings already, but presumably regardless of them, the test > speaker should still sound the speaker.

It's a 16ohm 12w speaker.

Is there a way to test the output/wires with a multimeter, either across the +/- outputs, or across 12v and + for example?

Peter

Have you used your multimeter to check that the speaker ok
Set to ohm and meter speaker should get 16 ohm
If speaker output faulty on panel ?
You could use a panel output for speaker output and change programming in wintex for speaker ?

you know easiest way to disable the bell on the premier is bell test, press omit when bell is disabled (panel will tell you) it can then be disconnected, otherwise manual fire the strobe as mentioned above.

Once the Texecom bell is in engineers hold off it can be removed from the panel without being activated.

the 16ohm speaker connects to the speaker terminals (either speaker + and -, or 12V+ and speaker -ve), connecting to 12 V and an output programed as speaker mimic wont work.

Last edited:
I've tested the speaker this morning and I'm getting 16ohms across it.

The Spk+ and Spk- are giving me 8v DC whether the speaker output is active or not - does this sound right?

I'm wiring in an extra keypad later, which is near the speaker, so I can try the speaker output on the keypad with a temporary bit of wire to see what happens.

Just to follow up with the solution - which "Alarm Engineer" had already suggested but I glossed over it. :(

In Wintex > Global Options, I hadn't spotted that the "Holiday Dates" tab was called "Holiday Dates and Panel Hardware" - in there are several checkboxes for "Panel Speaker Tones" which were all unticked for some reason. :oops:

All been working fine since I found that.

Thanks for all your help.

Peter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back