Silent pull switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to buy one of the pull cord dimmer light to replace the current noisy on off ping that the current bathroom light makes. 15 month old baby daughter is not it's biggest fan..

I've read a few posts on the site that swear buy these dimmer pull cords however a neutral feed is required to eliminate potential buzzing and a live feed.

Can someone confirm if I have these live and neutral feeds from the picture below before I buy?

Sponsored Links
I intend to buy one of the pull cord dimmer light to replace the current noisy on off ping that the current bathroom light makes. 15 month old baby daughter is not it's biggest fan..

I've read a few posts on the site that swear buy these dimmer pull cords however a neutral feed is required to eliminate potential buzzing and a live feed.

Can someone confirm if I have these live and neutral feeds from the picture below before I buy?

No you have a live and switch live.

If it is the Greenbrook pull switch dimmer - it doesn't need a neutral.

Sponsored Links
thanks guys.

If it is the Greenbrook pull switch dimmer - it doesn't need a neutral.

If the theory is correct and that neutral elimates the buzzing is it safe to say that a Greenbrook pull cord dimmer does not need a neutral connection and in turn will not buzz or have any other noise omitted and is therefore silent?

The Mrs won't be happy if she thinks there's a wasp in the bathroom when she's having a dip in the bath... :LOL:

If the theory is correct and that neutral elimates the buzzing is it safe to say that a Greenbrook pull cord dimmer does not need a neutral connection and in turn will not buzz or have any other noise omitted and is therefore silent?

The presence of a neutral has no bearing on any buzzing noises. They are a function of the quality of the dimmer and its suitability for the load.

For instance, if your dimmer is rated at 200watts and you give it 200 watts of halogen lights to handle, fed through 12v transformers then it will complain. It will be worse if the load is not matched to the transformers (leading v trailing edge).

Personally I have changed my pull dimmers for wall mounted dimmers outside the bathroom door.

Better to buy her a box of T-lights and pour her a G&T.

The pull cord is powering 3x 50 watt halogen bulbs therefore 150 watts.

The problem next is to establish what rate the dimmers are. The product information on Amazon is rubbish. How can I tell what wattage rate the dimmers are?

Additionally whats the difference in DIMPULLSW-C and DIMPULL-C?

The DIMPULLSW-C is for a toilet.

Only kidding!

Think the "C" comes with chrome cover and the "W-C" comes with white and chrome covers.

Please do a bit of reading:

It's a bit worrying that you could think you might have a L & N connected to a switch like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back