silicone reaction to MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've stuck some painted glass splashbacks onto MDF with silicone and there seems to have been a reaction and the paint is marked where the blobs of silicone are. Is this a reaction between the MDF and how can I prevent it from happening again?

Sponsored Links
Hi, may I suggest using double sided self adhesive tape, you can get some with a very high bond strength, if you have the need to remove the glass panels try using adhesive backed velcro, some silicones have an acidic reaction which was probably with the paint, you did not say what these panels were painted with, and how long had the paint been on them, maybe if the paint was reasonably fresh, the silicon would have reacted at a faster rate. Another adhesive you may find useful is Gripfil, that will stick to almost anything, but you may be well advised to apply what ever you decide to use, do a sample prior to using it on the panels you wish to fit... Al.

More likely the silicon has reacted with the paint.

Use a mirror adhesive as this is designed not to affect the silver coating on the backs of mirrors.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Hi. Thanks for your reply. The paint was meant for glass and was left two days as instructed before being stuck. I was told not to use tape as it would not be as permanent. It is also stuck to breeze blocks which is fine so it must be something in the MDF?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back