Silicone sealant or decorators caulk?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

In our brand new office at work, where they've fitted new door frames and skirting board they've used white silicone sealant to give it a nice finish between the joins which looks really neat and tidy.

I want to get the same effect with my skirting board at home, but I always thought that you use decorator's caulk to fill any gaps and generally give it a nice bead line where the wood meets the wall.

What should I use; silicone sealant or decorators caulk?

Thanks in advance, Phil

Sponsored Links
true but the sealant/caulk would be the last thing that gets applied, so surely wouldn't matter...?

Paint the walls, paint the skirting then apply the silicone/caulk to give a neat finishing line and hide the join.

Sponsored Links
true but the sealant/caulk would be the last thing that gets applied, so surely wouldn't matter...?

:confused:

erm we usually caulk then paint. But silicone dont like paint and will discolour eventually and be a pig to paint/ remove laters etc .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back