Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just finished putting one coat of matt emulsion onto our bathroom walls before realising a more durable, wipeable finish would be better (duh, decorating newbie!)

What I'm wondering is, as the same paint is also available in silk emulsion, can I just pop a coat of the silk on top of the matt for a finished room? Or should I do two coats of the matt and then one coat of the silk?

Cheers for any advice! :)

Sponsored Links
2 coats of softsheen or acrylic matt on top of the matt that you've already applied.

2 coats of silk and if it still hasn't covered, more coats.

If you put a coat of silk or softsheen on, then some filler, you need to matt paint over the filler before applying silk or softsheen to the filler.

2 coats of softsheen or acrylic matt on top of the matt that you've already applied.

2 coats of silk and if it still hasn't covered, more coats.

If you put a coat of silk or softsheen on, then some filler, you need to matt paint over the filler before applying silk or softsheen to the filler.

Sorry - are you saying two coats of soft sheen or acrylic matt and then another two coats of silk on top of that?

Or two coats of soft sheen/acrylic matt OR two coats of silk, either or?

Cheers! :)

Sponsored Links
Were the walls previously painted?

If not, did you remember to thin the first coat of matt emulsion (as per the instructions on the tin)? Fresh plaster is very porous. When water based paints dry their molecules shrink back and bond together (a process known as coalescence). If the walls are too porous (ie. the level of suction is too high), the water in the paint is sucked into the plaster rather than evaporating off. The result is paint that doesn't adhere properly and may well end up peeling off when you apply the next coat of emulsion.

If the walls were previously painted then go ahead will your silk paint. Be advised that silk obliterates old colours less well than matt. If the colour change is substantial then I would recommend using matt until the old colour is gone, and then two coats of silk.

Personally, I prefer using waterbased eggshell to using silk but if that is all you have access to then go for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back