Silly question alert! Unswitched fused spur...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm installing an alarm panel. It needs an unswitched fused spur.

I've never used these before although I am an electrically competent DIY-er. In terms of neatness of finish would it be better to use a spur faceplate with cable exit from the bottom, or one with cable entry from the front (the panel will be fixed to the same wall as the spur)? There is one in the location already but it's a front cable entry. I can't quite visualise how that will be particularly neat, as in theory the flex pokes out from the wall at 90 degrees?

This is probably a really stupid question! :unsure:

Any advice from you experts would be gratefully received!! :D

Sponsored Links
It's up to you. It makes no difference electrically.

I would think the bottom entry will be neater.

In terms of neatness of finish would it be better to use a spur faceplate with cable exit from the bottom, or one with cable entry from the front (the panel will be fixed to the same wall as the spur)?
Neither.

In terms of neatness of finish you want no visible cables at all.

You must only use round flex when using the cable outlet on a fused spur plate, remember.

Sponsored Links
Butt the accessory up to the panel, adjacent or as close as possible to the mains teminals. Then let the cable in through the side so it is concealed.

Neat and secure.

I've hi-jacked this thread as I need a face plate where the cable will exit at the side or bottom.
My electrician has just installed an un switched fused socket in the en suit for a heated towel rail. I cant see how I can get the cable out unless I file a piece of the face plate away.
Is there a 'proper' face plate available?

I've hi-jacked this thread as I need a face plate where the cable will exit at the side or bottom. My electrician has just installed an un switched fused socket in the en suit for a heated towel rail. I cant see how I can get the cable out unless I file a piece of the face plate away. Is there a 'proper' face plate available?
Assuming you're talking about an unswitched Fused Connection Unit (FCU), nearly all of the one's I've seen have the facility for bottom exit cable (with a cable clamp):
As you can see, there is a 'knockout' for the cable exit - which you remove (with hacksaw/files/whatever) if you want to use it.

Kind Regards, John

john thanks, I think sparkie may have fitted the wrong plate. I will have another look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back