SIME Friendly Format 80E Boiler Fan not working - New PCB's?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is anyone familiar with this model and what needs replacing if the fan has no power? Our Gas Safe guy reckons its the PCD BOard and that on forums he's been told that as there are two PCB's in this one that if one fails, it could be caused by the other, so we should replace both. His initial vague quote for one PCB was £150 but today he's coming with his voltage checkers to confirm diagnosis and says we'd be looking at £250 - £300 for the two boards to be replaced and that would likely cure it 100%.

The boiler is 11 years old and he also said it could be on its way out so we should think if we want to just replace it instead of patching it up and could fit a boiler for £1000, £600 boiler, £400 labour. What do you think to that?

Only think he did say was that the condensing boilers sold now have poor durability and can start going after 5 years. He says they used to last 30 years but you can't get the old sorts now.

We are really skint so I need to know if you guys think these quotes are fair market place. We live in East Yorkshire so not London prices.

Sponsored Links
It MIGHT be the PCB but it could be other things too.

He does not seem to have much idea about fault finding.

It seems you have not paid him to diagnose the fault and if so then its only right that he should be vague!

I always charge to diagnose faults!

Tony

Ok It's an absolute nightmare. Engineer came back today after we paid him for the other day for his diagnosis and checked all the electrical points several times of bolier to check why the fan wasn't running.

He spent about 30mins testing voltages on various parts of the system and rang his mate, (an instructor apparently) and went through the whole boiler manual with him. (I got this guy off the Gas Safe register and checked his card when he first called matched). Now he said on the phone that he thought it was the PCB but best to change that and the ignition board to be safe as the two where usually connected and that he was sure that would cure the problem 100%. That or we consider a new boiler.

He said he would let us think about what we wanted to do but that if we wanted to pick up the parts from a local supplier he recommended, we could and gave us the address to do so.

We rang him and said we wanted to go with repair and he said 'right, you get the parts and I'll pop by later'. We took his word that they would fix the problem and went to get the parts, paid cash got a receipt.

Long story short, he returned and fitted the part but they didn't fix the fan or make the flame light. He was totally baffled and spent an hour doing loads of checks and ringing his mate. Then just as he was about to give up for the day, he unscrewed the cover of a micro switch on the left, saw it had water on it and swiped it to clear the water. Tried the boiler and it lit as normal!

Now this problem was on the repair sheet the last engineer we had gave us 3 years ago! That the micro switch may stick and we showed him that. But he ignored that saying it was all wrong and this was a new problem with the fan.

Now he has left the whole boiler open again with electrics hanging out and the thing is dripping water from several places I have a bucket underneath). Electrics are off to it mind.

I asked him to come back and take out the parts he installed so we could maybe sell them on as they are not required and we desperately need to try and recoup our money that I feel sick about losing but he said we may as well keep the parts in but the boiler's obviously shot!

It seems we've just dropped £230 + his fee on absolutely nothing and we have no money as it is and trusted that he knew what he was doing! Is there anything we can do now?

Does this happen a lot where parts are wrong and customers get charged for them anyway or has he swindled us by getting us to buy them when he should have taken the hit?

I find it so hard to trust tradesmen and don't know what to do now. Any advice?

I think Tony summed it up perfectly... Why did you call him back in the first place? Obviously a cowboy.

The best way to find a tradesman is by personal recommendation. Have you tried your neighbours to see who they use?

Sponsored Links
See my earlier comment!

Its a common sign of someone who has no faith in his diagnosis to get the customer to buy the parts!

If I were you then I would be asking him to return ALL monies that you have paid. With the option of court summons if he refuses.

My industry colleagues will not like me saying that though. However, if he did not have the required skills he should not have offered to start.

I hate anyone referring to me as a tradesman though!

Ok sorry re: tradesman remark. I really didn't realise it was the wrong term here but appreciate you taking the time to comment. We had him back because he hadn't finished the diagnosis and I am new to boiler breakdowns and young and don't know any better about what to expect from an engineer. I do feel stupid but how are you meant to know if somethings not right until you have learnt from previous experience?

It's not like I can spend £65 a time and get say 3 engineers out to see who can best solve a problem with a SIME bolier. I asked if he had experience fixing my model and he said he could do the job. What more could I ask? I would have left it a day to think about getting the parts but my boyfriend just wanted to make the decision and get it fixed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back