Similar cooker hood required (see photo)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of a cooker hood available that would replace this one with minimum disruption to surrounding unit and ducting etc?

It is a very old Futurum and is for an elderly couple who do not have bundles to spend, so I'm trying to see if there is a similar product available!

Many thanks,
Dilalio

IMG_2256.JPG

Sponsored Links
Those type of flat looking ones are called 'visor hoods'.

www.ebay.co.uk/sch/extractor+visor+hood

Gaz :)

Thanks Gaz, but I don't think they're quite the same!

They're all recirc IINM with no ducting/exhaust to outside! The model in my pic has a 6" extract and duct offset on the left hand side and, even more unusual, there is another duct on the right hand side (@3") which is merely a vent to the grille at the ceiling level and is not powered by the motor... merely acts on the chimney effect!

Look closer at the photo and you'll see what I mean - I should've cleared out the cupboard really :oops:

Cheers for stepping in (y)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
They're all recirc IINM with no ducting/exhaust to outside!

The really cheap ones are probably recirc, but the good ones vent to outside...

technical_drawing_visor600_1.jpg

The offset duct is going to be impossible to match though I reckon.

Sponsored Links
The really cheap ones are probably recirc, but the good ones vent to outside...

technical_drawing_visor600_1.jpg

The offset duct is going to be impossible to match though I reckon.

Thanks. Yes, after an hours net searching, it's what I thought too!

These are my working dimms...
Overall Width 700mm
Inner width 660mm
Bottom height 50mm
Inner height 100mm
Inner depth 260
Overall depth 430
Exhaust position from left = 5.5"
Exhaust position from Back 4"
6" port diameter

It's only just dawned on me that the cupboard doors close over the unit, so you really are restricted in what will fit! I.E. probably nothing!!

What's actually wrong with it? Might be better off repairing what they have. If the fan is knackered and you can't get a replacement motor to fit, maybe an inline fan could go in the cupboard or above the cupboard and wire it into the existing controls on the extractor, as long as you can see a maximum current rating on the switch itself and don't exceed it.

vko.jpg

Gaz :)

You might have more luck if you use the entire width of the space between the cupboards. Either saw out those corners, or get/make a new bridging unit. How wide?

A new, open unit would also make it easier to run the new pipe. I think you will end up with a flexy hose, unless you want to cobble together some elbows. You have a 150mm duct? So easy to match to a powerful modern fan or extractor.

Could you afford the extra depth of a new extractor that came down lower?

edit
I have been very pleased with Elica, and there are a couple here
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/Elica/Built_In_Canopy/index.html
that fit into bridging units
ELBI60SLASH3W.JPG

dimensions
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Elica3/EL_Elibloc9.pdf

Last edited:
Cheers chaps... some good suggestions there; food for thought (y)

The current motor hums and spun for a bit but only very reluctantly!
Judging by its age and state, I didn't think repair was economical!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back