Simple cat deterrent alarm help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again folks, firstly - thanks for the help I received when I last posted about setting up our house alarm. Everything running smoothly in that department.

My new problem is - We feed birds in our garden which is lined with bushes and unfortunately under a certain small tree we have a problem with cats occasionally hiding and catching birds. This evening's victim was a collared dove. I have just ordered for the purpose of scaring the cats off -

1 x Lyntec soundbomb Voltage:12vdc Current:85ma

1 x ESP Quest Alarm PIR Voltage:12vdc Current:15Ma

I have a 12v 1.2 Ah battery with which to run stand alone cat scaring equipment, but would also be willing to buy a power supply unit as we can then wire it through the wall and switch it off at the plug. We will be switching off at night in case it scares off the foxes (which we also feed).

My questions are -
1 - Do I need to set up resistors to protect the PIR and soundbomb, and which resistors do I need?

2 - Will the system automatically stop and reset or do I need more components?

I will waterproof everything with a plastic bag for the soundbomb and battery/power supply and bath sealant for the PIR.

Any help to get me moving in the right direction would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Pit

Sponsored Links
lol yes very serious, I ony want the alarm to sound for a couple of seconds so the cats realise they aren't going to get in unnoticed (they soon learn). The neighbours will be fine.

Sponsored Links
lee2009 - That is a great system the guy has on that video, but I don't want to go that far (yet). Cheers anyway though, very interesting.

I have a cat problem around my bin bags too... any chicken in there and the whole bag contents usually get ripped out.
I've been thinking more of physical security like a lidded bin.

skyboy - Yup, I agree for that kind of problem the best way to go is a strong container.

There are security PIR/Speaker combos (Maplin and such like) that activate with a dog barking noise.
You could use high frequency sound also. But could annoy your own pets.
Or keep the cat out.
Carpet gripper on fences, barbed wire and similar is a good way. Rotor spikes.
Netting ( for strawberry plants ect) around access points, once tangled they never come back.

When will people learn cats are wild and not domesticated, when they let them out they attack birds as you say, defecate in and around others gardens.

A elv (12/24vdc) wire running around the tree with a battery and solar panel will also keep it away.

better would be to clip the bottom of the bush, or fence round it, so the cat can't use it as a hiding-place while the birds are feeding.

Or put a fence round the bird feeding area so the cat can't pounce in quickly enough to get the birds.

better would be to clip the bottom of the bush, or fence round it, so the cat can't use it as a hiding-place while the birds are feeding.

Or put a fence round the bird feeding area so the cat can't pounce in quickly enough to get the birds.
You credit the birds with too much intelligence.
Our cat is black and white, hardly inconspicuous, especially with a bell on his collar.
He's always getting the beggars. Pidgeons seem to be his favourite.

make it a offence to allow cats and dogs to roam the streets and crap in other peoples gardens - its a damm right disgrace that people are allowed to let cats out to roam on other peoples property.

Get a few cheap mouse traps and put meat on them. Put them out of the way of hedgehogs and let the blighters get their noses whacked.

Could you feed the birds on a bird table that the cat cannot reach ?

A table with a single leg in the middle and an underside that gave no claw hold for a cat would prevent the cat climbing to the table. Also place it where the cat cannot jump onto it from a fence or other object the cat can climb

Thanks for the interesting, and some bordering on disturbing replies so far :LOL:. Most answers are not what we have in mind though. It is just the area under the bush which is the problem. I have laid bamboo along the border to stop the cat rushing out, but sometimes a bird will wander under our small tree which feeders are hung from to get fallen seeds and BAM!

Please, no punji stick suggestions!

I just need help to get this particular device (which I've already ordered some parts for) operating.

Thanks again.

Pit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back