Simple (hopefully) lightning query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Thanks for your patience and time to answer this query

I've just moved into a new build flat and have grown bored of the dangly pendant lights.

Have managed to change 5 out of 6 but the last one is causing me a few concerns

Ceiling and new fitting images attached.

Am i able to put more than one wire into one side of connecting block? I've read about live/ switch live but don't know how or whether i need to distinguish anything

Thanks for your help
IMG_0729.jpeg
IMG_0730.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0729.jpeg
    IMG_0729.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 88
Sponsored Links
Am i able to put more than one wire into one side of connecting block?
Yes, of course.

I've read about live/ switch live but don't know how or whether i need to distinguish anything
It looks like a standard wiring method but of course - it may not be.

Is there only one light operated by the switch for the light in the picture?

What were the other five like that caused you no concern?

Thank you for the reply EFL.

It is just the two lots of wires coming into this one rather than one (as the case in the others) which has caused the uncertainty.

Two switches operate both lights. one switch each end of the hall so both are on or both are off.

Would i be ok to put both sets of cables from the ceiling into their respective slots on the fitting?

Two switches operate both lights. one switch each end of the hall so both are on or both are off.
Would i be ok to put both sets of cables from the ceiling into their respective slots on the fitting?
In view of what you say, then very likely, yes.

But first you must determine that one of the cables is the cable to the other light.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again- what would be the best way to do that?

Thanks again- what would be the best way to do that?
Don't want to be rude, but the best way would have been to take a photo of the wires before you had disconnected them!

As asked above, you need a multimeter, or a two-probe voltage tester. Do you have?

based on what you have said, it sounds like you have a 2 way switch which probably goes to some kind of junction box in the ceiling, from there you have the switched live, neutral and earth to the light, then the same back out to another light operated by the same switch(es)

i've always told a maximum of 2 cables on either side of the terminal block, if you want to reduce mess and your effort then some 3-way Wago blocks would allow you to run a single cable to the light

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back