rose to pendant, 2 cables ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in a new house, we wish to replace the ceiling rose with a 5 way pendant. have read many of the queries already posted but none of them quite answer my question. We have 2 cables coming out of the ceiling, one with earth, live and neutral, and one with an earth and 2no live wires. How do you connect this into a 3 way block ? We have been trying various combinations with no luck, once the light came on, but stayed on ! Any help gratefully accepted, cheers.

Sponsored Links
Let's clarify what you have.

It's a new house so your colours should be:

Cable one...............1 brown, 1 blue, 1 g/y sleeved cpc
Cable two................2 browns and 1 g/y sleeved cpc.

Confirm this layout first.

You need another termination, 3 is not enough.Connect them as in the lighting cct diags in the Wikki

passerv said:
Let's clarify what you have.

It's a new house so your colours should be:

Cable one...............1 brown, 1 blue, 1 g/y sleeved cpc
Cable two................2 browns and 1 g/y sleeved cpc.

Confirm this layout first.

Thanks for the reply. I need to correct my initial post. I have a 4 way block. The cables are as you described. Im confused about the 3 browns. Cannot get it so light can be switched off !

Sponsored Links
Put the earths together with the fitting earth.

Put the live from one and one of the lives from the other cable together in the spare block.

Put the second live together, with the fitting live.

Put the neutral together, with the fitting neutral.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back