Simple lighting wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just want to doublecheck that I've got this right. My ceiling wiring has:

1 green earth wire
1 red live wire
2 black neutral wires in the same sheath, but they were both screwed into the same hole in the plastic block

The plastic block then fed five bulbs in the old light fitting.

I've been getting confused with reading about switch/loop circuits, but if the above is correct there is no switching wire and I just wire the live and earth into the relevant screwholes of the new pendant fitting, and then both the neutral wires into the same neutral screwhole of the pendant fitting?

Why would the neutral have two wires in it if they were both wired together?

Sponsored Links
You very likely have a neutral loop on the lighting circuit, this is not uncommon.
The red live you have at the light, is actually the switch live, as it will only come live when the switch is in the closed/on position.
If you copy the wiring as it is to your new fitting, it will be fine.

Thanks, that make sense.

The lights in the room next door now don't work - could this be because I pulled the cable to get a little more length to fit the new pendant? Only pulled it a centimetre or two, but it was already fairly tight...

I'll have a look in the fitting in the room next door but if it's not obvious will call an electrician, don't want to cause any more problems. :)

With regards to light not working in adjoining room, first check that both neutrals are making good contact with the new light fitting, you could have a loose connection or you may have trapped one of the neutrals insulation in the terminal. Other than that you may have pulled the neutral out, this maybe at the non-working light or possible a joint in the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Got it thanks - I hadn't actually refitted the new pendant yet so the two neutrals weren't touching. Have reattached the plastic block and now the lights next door are working. Will fit the pendant tomorrow in daylight. Thanks for the help,

Happy to help! Yes by not connecting the two neutrals together you had broken the neutral loop at the light fitting, so in future this is best remembered. Often in these configurations, the live loop is at the switch or alternatively within a ceiling junction box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back