Simple Phone Controlled Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for some advice.

I have a new oil combi boiler, with a Honeywell controller and a wired Honeywell thermostat.

I run the heating and water permanently 'on', water has a megaflo, and we use the thermostat to control the heat.

All I want to do is be able to turn the thermostat up or down with my phone, mainly from home, remotely a bonus.

No interest in a 'learning' thermostat, schedules or any other guff; although I appreciate those functions maybe present !

Was just looking at the Honeywell Lyric t6r, or t5r; but any advice from your own experience appreciated.

Tups

Sponsored Links
There's loads of smart thermostats out there that have phone capability. You're probably looking at something like Evohome, Lyric, Hive, Nest, Salus etc... just the basic model with a remote control app should suffice. It just really depends on what features you need and like the idea of, and trying to future proof the initial investment.

I have just installed MiHome Energenie eTRV in two rooms, these can be set using the phone, however not really impressed, at 9 pm mother retires and I wanted both living room and her bedroom to switch off at this point as the heat in the rooms was keeping her awake. The temperature is now dropping over night, but now 1 am and 18°C and 19°C for the two rooms is far hotter than the 16°C and 17°C they are set at, although cool enough to no longer keep my mother awake.

The MiHome Energenie eTRV are designed to work with "Nest" but at the moment they are stand alone, I did have some problems fitting, I used 3.5mm spacer instead of 2mm spacer, there were no instructions with the valves, I had to down load from web, once installed the web link came up, but by that time already fitted, also one has to follow a procedure to ensure pin fully retracted on fitting then the unit exercises its self to work out how far to motor pin, did not follow this as no instructions, so to start with it was not switching fully off and on. Then a further problem where my wife turned off the hub, I was blaming the valves when it was not their fault.

This is another point, for them to work you need to create a free account and have a hub connected to the router. They are not directly connected to your phone, I had the same with a web cam to work it needs an internet account, I think the problem is most home routers don't have a fixed IP address, so the account gets around this problem. For me also wanted a double socket that could be switched with the phone so I could re-set some alarms used with my mother, and so had to buy the hub for that, however hub, pair of valves, and socket were expensive. In hind sight, and that is always easy, I think stand alone eTRV would have worked just as well.

Get yourself a nest. It will do what you want but you will end up using other features and it will get your bills down. I've mastered the on time for heating the megaflow just right now.

Sponsored Links
I have a new oil combi boiler....water has a megaflo, and we use the thermostat to control the heat. Tups

Not sure you meant that you have a combi boiler (some confuse combi with condensing, hence the move to calling them 'high efficiency'), not mutually exclusive to have a combi and a hot water cylinder, just not commonplace....but that's not relevant to your request for advice.
Here's mine:
I have fitted Nest, Lyric, and Honeywell Evohome.
The Nest is a lovely piece of kit, its packaging reminds me of iPhone, and that's not surprising as it was designed by a former Apple employee. In use the thermostat feels high grade, and the schedule settings (yes, you WILL start to use them once you see the benefits) are almost intuitive. It does have its faults though, the remote relay unit (containing the relays to control heating and hot water) is a pain to install because the terminals are too small, i.e. too small to get two 0.5mm2 solid conductors in together (required if switching mains to a zone valve) and, if using stranded cables the IEE regs require ferrules to be crimped over the strands and the same problem remains. It also requires an internet connection, which many old people will not have.
The 3rd generation one has the hot water function, and costs about £200, but if you just want the heating function then earlier ones may be available on EBAY, Gumtree, et al at reduced prices.

The Evohome is great, and can do everything the others do and more, but is very expensive, and needs a little (just a little) more tech knowledge to get it up and running. It is far more expandable, but in my opinion if you're going to fork out about £400 for a typical system you'd want something more futureproof...IMO the Evohome has a few design edits to come i.e. compatability with a "common" interface to allow other manufacturer's kit to integrate with it would be very useful. The std display is good, but if using anything but the table mounted stand (supplied) you'll be asked for another £50 for the wallmount. The additional roomstat sets rely on batteries for their comms (a pet hate of mine), and don't have the smooth feel of the Nest, nor are they big enough to cover a std 76mm x 76mm box, previously used to mount the old mechanical thermostat (the Nest comes with a white plastic facia plate to solve this)

The Lyric is a std thermostat replacement, costs about £110, and does basic control. It has a large temperature display, and schedules if you want them. I believe there are hard wired and wireless versions, I've only fitted the hard wired version because of my irrational fear of batteries!
Again, an internet connection is required for remote operation, and in common with just about all connected control systems, an Android phone or Apple iPhone as no one seems to write apps for Windows based phones.

Some years ago, in the days before smarty-pants phones, I envisaged a modified central heating programmer which had a slot for a SIM card, the idea being I could send one of four text messages directly to it from my Nokia 3320, namely CH ON, CH OFF, HW ON, and HW OFF. I approached several controls manufacturers, none of whom showed much interest. Clearly that method of operation would suit your needs, and that of many families of non-connected old people, but it never caught on, and probably will never do so.

Hope this longer than anticipated reply helps.

MM

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back