Simple shed.... Will this give me lots of grief?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We have just bought a house & we have no plans to move, were about to to a major garden makeover part of which will be a shed..

The garden is quite sloped too just to add

Now i want a relatively solid affair ( its going to act as a workshop ) my thought of construction are as follows

sink sturdy fence posts into concrete pads ( probably 6 or 8 of them )
build a floor support / joists between the posts & board it

then put in any extra lateral supports for the sides / windows & shiplap up the spaces between the posts & pop a roof on

not seen any shed designs like this before & i wondered if I am about to embark on a large failure

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Any timber sunk into the ground will eventually rot so if you expect it to last a considerable amount of time it will not.

you could use short concrete posts... i did a similar thing to you for my decking, and it worked ok !!

Sponsored Links
hmmm I like the idea of that....

also considering concreting in some fence posts mounted in those bolt on metal spikes ( or just driving in those bolt on metal spikes come to mention it ) then the wooden bit is above ground

If you are going to put wood in the ground stand them in a drum of creasote for a few days and put some water proofer in the concrete mix.

hmmm I like the idea of that....

also considering concreting in some fence posts mounted in those bolt on metal spikes ( or just driving in those bolt on metal spikes come to mention it ) then the wooden bit is above ground

this is what i was on about http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/fenci...e-Concrete-Repair-Spur-H-1m-x-W-80mm-10086576

As for the hammer-in spikes, i'd steer clear... you only need to be 5 degrees out vertically and slightly twisted and you can't properly attach your joists. They're very difficult to get in accurately.

if you want the 'metpost' type (and other makes are available !!) fitting, then look at these
http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/fenci...ers/Metpost-Concrete-In-Red-75-x-75mm-9276635

But for me, metal can rust, and wood can rot.... but concrete will be there longer than you will ;) plus you can set it out neatly before it goes off.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back