Simplest way to do a flush wooden path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've drawn up plans for a 700mm wide decking path using timber joists, decking blocks etc etc, but I feel like I'm massively over complicating it. I also want it to be flush with the grass level, so I'll need to excavate a whole lot of soil.

In these photos, I can see the guy has used some kind of metal or plastic L-shaped edging and screwed the wood to that with some slabs underneath to keep it level and spread the weight.

Can anyone suggest something I could use for the edging that I could screw the deck boards to to achieve a similar thing to the photo? Or any other ideas that will make the job simpler and cheaper than doing all the usual decking gubbins that are intended for larger areas with more traffic?

Happy to be told I'm just being lazy and I should do it properly! I don't mind about this lasting years and years as I'll be doing something better in a year or two when I've got the means.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
If you only want it to last a few years then get some of the good quality pallets ( like the blue CHEP pallets but obviously not them as they belong to CHEP ;):unsure: ) and then sink & level them into the grass and top it all off with the decking planks to the level of the grass. You could creosote them first and they may last longer and should get you the timeframe you need.

If you only want it to last a few years then get some of the good quality pallets ( like the blue CHEP pallets but obviously not them as they belong to CHEP ;):unsure: ) and then sink & level them into the grass and top it all off with the decking planks to the level of the grass. You could creosote them first and they may last longer and should get you the timeframe you need.
Interesting idea Daz. Thanks, I'll consider this.

Sponsored Links
Wood may end up being slippery after some time!
This is true, I'm considering decking with anti slip boards. I'm not too fussed about the top layer, and more focused on getting a nice easy sub-frame that I can get in before Christmas so I can just relax for a bit!

Better to give your path an inch or two above the grass for water run-off - pallets aren't a long-term solution and look like sh!t after a year or two. How long is the path?

Probably be cheaper in paving slabs and less effort
That's where it gets interesting (sigh). I do agree, but I can't get any bulk bag deliveries or anything that comes on a big lorry due to work being done on our shared access road.

I also have some spare decking boards, joists, slabs etc that I could do with getting rid of. It's never straightforward, eh?

I'm going to do a mad experiment with a few old slabs spread apart that I'll attach rust proof angle brackets to the top of. I'll set 3 joists long edge on to the brackets and screw them in, then screw boards on top of the joist. Then I'll walk on it and see how it feels.

That'll be as low profile as I can think of for much less excavating, and leave no wood in contact with the ground.

I know it'll probably be crap, but who doesn't love an experiment?

Attachments

• IMG-20231128-WA0022.jpg
    IMG-20231128-WA0022.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Better to give your path an inch or two above the grass for water run-off - pallets aren't a long-term solution and look like sh!t after a year or two. How long is the path?
It'll be 4.8m at least along the front of a shed, but if it goes well I might run more of it round two other sides of the shed, so up to 12m.

Up to 12m is a great deal of wood and many, many pallets. Is the ground flat, or do you need to step up a level?
Mixing slabs could work out but are you sure you want to experiment with something you're going to have to live with for years ahead?

Wait until the road is sorted out front and do the job properly.

Stone doesn't have to come in on a big lorry, you could get it delivered on a 7.5t or 3.5t transit type tipper

A 3.5t tipper can carry 1t-1.5t, so a couple of runs would be plenty for your path

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back