Single Brick Wall - How To Upgrade To Meet Existing Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a room at the side of our house which we use fairly often. We would now like to extend this room which will involve Building Control.

The room is already an extension onto the existing house and is built merely from a single-skin brickwork wall with panelling on the inside. No idea if there is any insulation between the panelling and the brickwork.

The new walls which will extend the room will be brick/block cavity filled. However, what would be the best solution for bringing the existing walls upto standard?

Would internal studwork with insulation inbetween and plasterboard be sufficient? Or would we need to create a cavity and internal blockwork wall? If the former will suffice, what type and thickness of insulation will we require?

Sponsored Links
That diagram shows an external wall made out of blockwork if I'm not mistaken. How would a single brickwork wall be upgraded to current standards?

That diagram shows an external wall made out of blockwork if I'm not mistaken. How would a single brickwork wall be upgraded to current standards?

Sponsored Links
The same way. Fill any holes or voids in the joints before applying the RIW.

I heard you the first time btw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back