Single Brick Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our shed/outhouse area is a single brick wall, concrete roof, concrete base, construction.The roof is o.k no leaks.But the walls do not appear to have a damp course,the party wall to our neighbours shed is dry,but the outside walls suffer damp.
I am hoping to use the area as a utillity room and possibly a galley kitchen.
Question is what can i do to the walls in order to damp proof and insulate them. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
if you intend knocking thro' and using the space as habitable, with heating etc, then you must upgrade on a buildings notice with regs.
walls roof and probably the floor too will need some serious work.
probably be more cost effective to demolish and start from scratch.
theres quite a lot to consider on a job such as yours.

Thanks for the swift reply noseall.What if i just wanted to waterproof the brickwork and clad the internals etc.Any suggestions

its up to you how you tackle it . from a legal building regs point of view then you need to go down the right road if you intend using the space as habitable.
if you are going to use it as a separate out house with an external spec door separating the two, then i guess you can make it more comfortable, by a simple re- furbishment.
like i said earlier, its up to the individual, how they take the advice given, on board. many people go ahead and do their own diy thing anyway, regardless of b.c. and the regs. its only when a neighbour shops you or if you want to sell, that these things come to light.
always remember, a good job can add value to your property.
a bodge job can cost you a packet and a lot off sleepless nights!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back