Single channel hive for Grant Oil Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Trying to install hive single channel on a combi grant oil boiler

I have removed honeycomb channel programmer. But a bit confused as there are 5 wires come from the fused connection unit, what should l do with Grey and Black from the fused connection unit circled in green?

See attached
The cable red circled is from the boil.
The cable yellow circle is from fused connection unit (the 2 wires in green circle is confusing me)

The cable blue circled is to the thermostat control

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8154.jpeg
    IMG_8154.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
To boiler you require a permanent live plus neutral and earth and a switched live to heating with a single channel hive you will probably have to reinstate link on hot water side in boiler and have it permanent on.
Boilers can be wired a number of different ways if your unsure clear pictures of boiler board would be useful.

Sponsored Links
At a guess I’d say they’re for the thermostat you have already. I ant see where the cable goes down though, can you take a photo from further back?

Occasionally I've come across installations where a heat only boiler has been replaced with a combi but the old two channel programmer has been left in situ complete with the no longer required hot water control wires.

So when you say:
I have removed honeycomb channel programmer.

I assume that you mean Honeywell, but should it also say 'two channel programmer' by any chance?

It would help to know where each the wires were originally connected, or what the other end of each are connected to. Unfortunately, the way heating systems are wired, including the choice of the wiring colours used are at the mercy of the original installers personal choices.

To boiler you require a permanent live plus neutral and earth and a switched live to heating with a single channel hive you will probably have to reinstate link on hot water side in boiler and have it permanent on.
Boilers can be wired a number of different ways if your unsure clear pictures of boiler board would be useful.
I have made a video of boiler board

Occasionally I've come across installations where a heat only boiler has been replaced with a combi but the old two channel programmer has been left in situ complete with the no longer required hot water control wires.

So when you say:

I assume that you mean Honeywell, but should it also say 'two channel programmer' by any chance?

It would help to know where each the wires were originally connected, or what the other end of each are connected to. Unfortunately, the way heating systems are wired, including the choice of the wiring colours used are at the mercy of the original installers personal choices.
Sorry l meant Honeywell

Autocorrect!

I have also found the manual for the wiring

Attachments

• IMG_8279.jpeg
    IMG_8279.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8278.jpeg
    IMG_8278.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8277.jpeg
    IMG_8277.jpeg
    259.4 KB · Views: 41
All straight forward
Earth neutral permanent live to 1 -2-3 switched live from hive to 19 link 17 & 18 if not linked already
Rocker switches to timed on heating switch hot to on.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
All straight forward
Earth neutral permanent live to 1 -2-3 switched live from hive to 19 link 17 & 18 if not linked already
And how do I disconnect the current thermostat?
Im struggling to find the wiring to the current thermostat

All straight forward
So l tried it
There is a link between 17 and 18 already
19 to 1 on hive
And 20 to 3

But the heating doesn’t come on
What am l doing wrong

Also removed 25 and 26 where it says ROOM STAT so assuming that is for the thermostat

I would have thought either Hive needs to be wired into 25/26 or link needs to be left in

You have already noted cable you have circled blue is to thermostat just don't couple it up . I would replace that cable with a 3 core into fused connection and then to hive .
I take it the 5 core circled red goes to boiler?
I'f so connect as above with a single channel hive you will have one core too many just make spare electricity safe.
You don't need anything to ,20 that's a permanent live feed through board.
Room stat connection needs to be linked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back