Single conductor cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just bought my first house and have been doing some work there(thought i would put in some extra plug sockets, etc). When I took the floorboards up to check the state of the wiring I found that the lighting cable was all single conductor double insulated stuff(never seen this before, im used to nice clean new cable), When did ths stop getting used for domestic wiring?

Have discovered that the wiring is a right mess, spurs taken off spurs, cables twisted together with insulation tape wrapped around them. I cant believe anyone could do such a bad job, whoever did the electrical work should be locked up for life.

The ring main looks as though it was rewired at some point, how would i know if it was as old as the lighting wiring?

Sponsored Links
I think your best bet would be to get an electrician in to do a proper inspection, particularly if you're in the situation of being able to easily lift floorboards etc - now is the time to find out what needs fixing, and to install any additional stuff you need, not after you've refixed the boards, put down fitted carpets and decorated all the walls and ceilings....

I agree with ban. Wiring that's slightly off-regualations is one thing; cables twisted together and joined with tape is quite another and is very dodgy indeed. Get a professional electrician in to inspect the whole lot - I know the cost may be a burden, what with just having bought your first house and all, but it's best to make sure your investment isn't a death trap...

the cable was used up until quite recently, to wire up those early architectural tube holders the single white rectangular ones for round pin tubes before the proper fittings came out along with the rectangular pin tubes

Sponsored Links
Im capable of doing the work myself, just curious about that single conductor wiring as i have never seen it used before.

Took up some more floorboards today to get a better look at things, im now going to do a total rewire as the wiring is a disater waiting to happen. Started laying the cable for downstairs ring today, even got the new colours. Just need to get an isolator fitted between meter and Cu now before i replace Cu.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back