Conductors are too big!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just changing sockets on a 1960's bungalow and the ring conductors are huge compared to my 2.5 csa cable!
It looks like twisted steel, but could be tinned copper, not sure yet. I am sure that its very difficult to locate the old cable conductors in the new terminals ?
Whats the crack about ring wiring of this period??

PS. Earth is the same twisted mess (unsheathed).

Sponsored Links
It is probably overdue for testing and inspection.

This will be an Imperial size of cable. I expect there are 5 or 7 strands, someone will remember what metric size this is equivalent to.

If you buy one of the better brands of socket (MK, Crabtree, MEM) they have surprisingly large capacity tunnel terminals.

You must sheath all the earth wires in Green&Yellow. Make sure the earth is connected to the faceplate and the backbox. You may need to prepare some 150mm lengths of G&Y to do this.

Test for ring continuity at every socket as you work on it. There may well be problems or anomalies. This means only disconnect one outlet at a time.

They used to twist the cores together from both sides of the ring, but it is now considered better to put them into the terminal separately and fairly straight (a light twist stops them bushing out).

Have you updated the earthing arrangements?

You will probably find there is no earth on the lighting circuit, so you must not use metal switches or light fittings.

Yes you are right there and I will investigate earthing arrangements! As for the light fittings I have not seen the cable but was asked to fit a brass type light fitting :eek:
I could suggest a total rewire due to the risks involved......just kidding.....but many would try!

What are the IR tests like? Condition of cables? Condition of any additions? Any other problems?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back