Single oven and built in microwave wiring help

Sponsored Links
There is some misleading information in the link leading to unnecessary work.

Many thanks for your reply, I'm back to where I started then. Wondering if you could help.

Is it possible to power a single built-in 2.1kW zanussi oven off
an existing dedicated radial circuit (currently powering a combination microwave/oven rated at 3.4kW)?

Both appliances have a max power rating of 5.5 kW (or 3.4kW and
2.1kW).

Existing radial circuit has 16A mcb in consumer unit RCD protected, cable size is 6mm2 >> 45amp cooker isolation switch >> 45a dual appliance outlet >> 1). 3.4kW combi microwave hardwired, 2). 13A socket unswitched?

Both appliances would be located within 2 metres of 45a cooker switch above. Is it advisable to plug the 2.1kW oven into the unused 13A socket on existing 16A radial or does the current setup need changing, i.e. mcb, etc, etc? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to power a single built-in 2.1kW zanussi oven off
an existing dedicated radial circuit (currently powering a combination microwave/oven rated at 3.4kW)?
Yes.

2.1kW).
5500/230 = 23.91 Amps but with cooking appliances we apply 'diversity' because all loads will not be on at the same time.
23.91 - 10 x 0.3 + 10 = 14.17A
5A must be added if there is an integral socket in the cooker switch.
So, if there is then the mcb will have to be changed to a 20A - if not, all is well.

Existing radial circuit has 16A mcb in consumer unit RCD protected, cable size is 6mm2 >> 45amp cooker isolation switch >> 45a dual appliance outlet >> 1). 3.4kW combi microwave hardwired, 2). 13A socket unswitched?
All good - with the proviso of the cooker switch socket.

Both appliances would be located within 2 metres of 45a cooker switch above.
That's fine.

Is it advisable to plug the 2.1kW oven into the unused 13A socket on existing 16A radial
Yes.

or does the current setup need changing, i.e. mcb, etc, etc? Thanks
Not unless cooker switch has an integral socket.

2.1kW).
5500/230 = 23.91 Amps but with cooking appliances we apply 'diversity' because all loads will not be on at the same time.
23.91 - 10 x 0.3 + 10 = 14.17A
5A must be added if there is an integral socket in the cooker switch.
So, if there is then the mcb will have to be changed to a 20A - if not, all is well.

All good - with the proviso of the cooker switch socket.

Both appliances would be located within 2 metres of 45a cooker switch above.
That's fine.

Is it advisable to plug the 2.1kW oven into the unused 13A socket on existing 16A radial
Yes.

or does the current setup need changing, i.e. mcb, etc, etc? Thanks
Not unless cooker switch has an integral socket.[/quote]

No, the cooker switch has no integral socket.
this type:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-1-gang-45a-dp-cooker-switch-with-neon-white/49779

Would it be advisable to have existing mcb in the consumer unit increased from 16A to 20A in order to be on a safer side load-wise and for future proofing purpose? Btw, I'm fully aware that this would be a notifiable work requiring a qualified electrician to do the job (Part P) if necessary.

Many thanks for the clarification and your prompt reply.

Thanks!

Would it be advisable to have existing mcb in the consumer unit increased from 16A to 20A in order to be on a safer side load-wise and for future proofing purpose? Btw, I'm fully aware that this would be a notifiable work requiring a qualified electrician to do the job (Part P) if necessary.
You could do that if you want. It won't hurt.

I do appreciate your time on this EFLImpudence.

Thanks again for your advice - it's been very helpful to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back