Single pipe heating quandry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.

My one pipe central heating has been bugging me for a while now.It works ok downstairs.But upstairs new radiators were fitted sometime before we moved in and were not installed correctly.There is no bypass for the hot water to flow through if the radiators are shut off meaning that all the rads upstairs go cold if any one of them are isolated.It also means that the radiators at the end of the upstairs circuit (We apparently have 2.1Upstairs and 1downstairs) struggle to get any heat in them at all even when all rads are fully open and pump up to speed 3,as the hot water has to pass through all the upstairs rads before finally reaching them.
Now i've spoken to a few plumbers and i've got two options.Rip the whole lot out and install two pipes.Sounds good but my bank balance doesn't agree.
Or.Get bypass lines fitted across each upstairs radiator for a fraction of the cost.I have been told that this may not rectify the problem as the hot water will always try to travel along the bypass first instead of through the rad.Anyone know if this is true? The rads downstairs are similar to the ones used to keep jesus's manger warm.They are ancient and the feed in and out are situated in the middle bottom of each one!

Sorry for dragging this out.

Any advice very much appreciated.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
When installing a single pipe loop the radiators should be piped Flow into a top connection on the rad and the return from a bottom connection this way you promote a gravity circulation through the rads the pump will only circulate water around the loop, so this gravity action is essential ;)

Evening all.

My one pipe central heating has been bugging me for a while now. They are ancient and the feed in and out are situated in the middle bottom of each one!

Sorry for dragging this out.

Any advice very much appreciated.
Cheers
I ve seen those once :idea: that single feed underneath is designed specifically for a 1 pipe system - as a money saving idea :rolleyes: With your normal ones upstairs, you are going to have the Devil`s own job getting any sort of balance in the system :cry:

Sponsored Links
When installing a single pipe loop the radiators should be piped Flow into a top connection on the rad and the return from a bottom connection this way you promote a gravity circulation through the rads the pump will only circulate water around the loop, so this gravity action is essential ;)

So that's another thing the pillocks who first installed the heating got wrong.
I might just move.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back