Single Pipe system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Half of our house is very old and the CH in it appears to be a single pipe system. As a result, the rads in that part never get very hot - especially upstairs.
We are getting a new boiler soon and the plumber (a trustworthy guy we've known for years) suggests it might be worth putting this right at the same time. He suggests it would not be a huge job.

What does the team think?

Thanks

information: please note 15 which is here

Sponsored Links
How long's a piece of string....

It depends on all sorts of installation practicalities which we are not aware of. If you trust the guy recommending it, go along with it. It's certainly worth doing in principle, just to simplify setting up and future maintenance.

Can't see how a single pipe system would fit with the building regs......trv's?

ollski said:
Don't suppose there were any building regs when it was put in - probably 50 years ago!!

Sponsored Links
sclg said:
ollski said:
Don't suppose there were any building regs when it was put in - probably 50 years ago!!

that's what i'm saying my friend. ;)

ollski said:
sclg said:
ollski said:

that's what i'm saying my friend. ;)

Sorry!
Think we'll probably go for it if it is not too much upheaval.

Whats with people thinking you cant fit trvs on a one pipe system, I have fitted combi's and trvs on one pipe systems with no problems whatsoever.

My problem isn't to do with TRv's. All the rads on the single pipe part of the system just never get vary got.
I suppose it's not surprising as it's only convection that gets the water into them!

Yes your right of course pvm, never see them so have never really thought about it, but I concede I'm talking rubbish.

One pipe systems are pre-historic dinosaur poo and yours will be full of 50 years worth of crud!
My 2p worth of say so is to rip it out and put a two pipe set up in there so that your rads can become
sclg said:
vary got.
indeed. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

seen and worked on a single pipe system with trvs on and working the system had a 22 mm feed all round the house and 15 mm tails into rads

falcon 2 was fitted seems such a simple easy install and all the rads where getting hot

is there a regulation to stop this type of install now seeing as its a single pipe
feeding and same pipe returning less water in system = faster heat up less heat loss or am i wrong ( new to heating )

what are this systems failings ?

As I understand it, the main failing is that there is little to persuade the water to go through the rad - much easier for it to keep going through the pipe. It's only the natural desire of hot water to rise that persuades it to go into the rad.
I'm told it is OK where the tails to the feed pipe are short and the rad is vertically above the feed pipe. We have some upstairs ones where this is not the case and sometimes they just don't want to get hot at all - and there is no way to force the water through them.

Main failing is that there is a continual temperature drop as the water loses its heat on the journey through the system, therefore the last rads on the run will never get as hot as the first.

After the last single pipe system I had to balance up I wouldn't go near another with a barge pole. Life is too short, I have too many sensible customers screaming at me to spend days on a nitwits heating. Get it changed to two pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back