Single skin out building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I have 2 outhouses knocked into 1 with concrete roof and floor , the walls are single skin and joined onto next door on 1 side and the outside loo on another. 17 years ago I had lights and sockets etc fitted and the whole room plastered. The plaster on the outside walls is very damp and I want to make it into a useable room to house some fitness equipment. What is the best way to do this ? I think probably either stud out & plasterboard or knock the plaster off the 2 outside walls and dot n dab new boards or (an outside chance) put a heater in and all will be well .

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Sponsored Links
Oh and the roof is leaking so was planning on a coat of acropol or similar.

I read quite a few but didn’t really get what I wanted to know. I’ll try some more

Sponsored Links
You can't dot and dab on this type of wall, as if the damp does not cause the adhesive to loosen, then it will certainly cause a pattern of damp circles all over the wall.

You need to batten the wall over a membrane or form a timber frame and board and insulate that.
The existing plaster needs to come off.

All this should be in the many garage conversion threads.

Acrypol is a great product but it's not really a long term solution. If the roof cover as gone then it needs replacing, as you don't really want all your internal work getting wrecked in a free year's time.

The problem with the roof is that the felt covering extends over the neighbours (housing association) so all I can do is repair (bodge) my side. Thanks for confirming my best option. Hadn’t planned on removing the plaster to stud it out but I’ll do it. If nothing else I’ll gain an inch in the floor area (y)

It's a simple matter to felt half a roof such as that. But the issue is whether the remaining half lets in any water. Ask the HA about a potential complete renewal and you'll pay half if the quote is good. They should have a planned renewal date as part of a programmed maintenance plan, so if it's near ask then to bring it forward.

Otherwise, just do yours and lap at the boundary. It will be much better than patching.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back