Single storey vaulted pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i was hoping someone could assist me, we are looking to extend out home and i'm trying to put together some building regs drawings. The building is single storey mainly brick with curtain wall style glazing to the front which goes follows roof slope. Now with the glazing going so high i dont want a flat ceiling so there wont be any ceiling joists and new ceiling will needs to follow the rafter line underside.

1) Can these rafters be timber if so what size
2) what size timber purlins need to run between and at what centres
3) How are the rafters restrained to avoid pushing walls out as there isn't any cross timbers tying the rafters together like a normal truss.

upload_2016-6-24_12-12-20.png

upload_2016-6-24_12-11-49.png

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• elevation.PNG
    elevation.PNG
    30.6 KB · Views: 122
  • section.PNG
    section.PNG
    63.8 KB · Views: 134
Sponsored Links
You need your glass end gable to be structural. That's to say it'd probably need a steel frame integrated within it (or around it) to hold your ridge beam up. The other end of your ridge would be embedded in the house wall, and then your walls won't spread because there are no forces to do so.

What's the design for the glass gable wall?

Thanks for your assistance garyo.....there is no official manufacturers design as yet. its just detailed how i would like it to look.

So does the ridge beam running from main house wall to new glazed wall need to be steel or would timber surfice?

As above, you would need a ridge beam rather than ridge board.
Also, your rafters would need to be stiff (ie deep) enough to prevent excessive deflection which would
tend to push the walls out at the top.

Sponsored Links
Dont suppose you know what size the rafters would need to be? also assuming rafters where deep i could omit any need for purlins?

oh no....Why are the walls not high enough? I thought they could be under 2.1m as there is no windows or doors to the side elevations just brick

You'll have a pretty low headroom alongside the walls. As mentioned a steel solution is required to support the ridge beam, probably a 152x152 steel or 2 x 200x50 timbers. As mentioned whilst at one end it can sit in the wall the other end will either need to sit on a column that goes down to the foundation or a steel portal that sits up in the rafter zone and is supported on each flank wall or maybe a horizontal steel beam at the top of the doors supported on each of the flank walls with a small column supporting the end of the ridge beam. No need for purlins.

You'll need a structural engineer, the window/door manufacturers will be no use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back