Single unfused 32 amp radial circuit for temp use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new house is due to be rewired in next few days, but until then I have major internal work which means all current cabling is removed. I have ran a short 3 mtr using 2.5 tne unfused single socket radial circuit from consumer box on a 32 amp breaker as a temp stop gap so power tools and kettle can be used. Is this ok ?

[/b][/u]

Sponsored Links
Is this ok ?
No!
2.5mm T&E is designed to carry 27A when on a radial circuit, so options are make the circuit in to a ring final, by returning the legs back to the CU.
Down fuse to 16, 20A or 25A
or replace 2.5mm with larger CSA, 4.0m or greater.

Sponsored Links
I assume the cable run is V short. In this case, I would put in a couple of sockets, fed from the 32A breaker via 4 milli.

This will give you a bit of leeway.

It's hardly dangerous given that it is no different to an unfused spur on a ring final circuit. Anyway there are situations where overload protection may be omitted if it supplies a fixed load which cannot result in an overload.

Any of these unsafe?
A 32Amp MCB connected to 2.5/1.5 (T & E) cable.
All sockets are twin.

Circuit 1/ A radial with one socket.

Circuit 2/ A ring final with ten sockets and a spur to one socket run from the midpoint of the ring.

Circuit 3/ A ring final with ten sockets and a spur to one socket run from the fuseway.

It`s amazing how many people think Circuit 1/ is dangerous (2.5 cable and a 32Amp MCB) yet are happy with Circuit 3/

Yet explain to them to get Circuit 3/ then disconnect only the ring leaving the spur intact leaves you with Circuit 1/ - removal of the ring will not make the spur (radial) any more dangerous than it was before.

I`d say to the OP that providing you only have one twin socket maximum unfused then the set up is acceptable. I think most of us would prefer to change the MCB to a 20A or 16A though

Thanks for all the responses much appreciated. I have a 16 amp so will pop that in to play safe. Thanks again

Thanks for all the responses much appreciated. I have a 16 amp so will pop that in to play safe. Thanks again

Is the socket fixed to the wall or loose on the end of the cable ?

If loose then fix the soxket to a small piece of timber so the cable can be fixed securely to the timber before it goes into the socket box. Otherwise the movement of the cable will weaken and break the connections in the socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back