Singles in conduit. Domestic

I've never seen such an item, and initial thoughts are that brass would be too soft a metal and it would 'bell out' too easily when tightened,
Are you sure you're not thinking of copper?

Brass is actually quite strong, and well suited to machining. Do brass bushes strip their threads when tightened into couplers? Do you worry about brass SWA or pyro glands falling apart?

also would be expensive
No reason for it to cost any more than a long male conduit bush.

Look at the prices of brass compression couplers for plumbing - they don't cost much and they have more brass, more parts, and more complicated manufacturing than a simple piece of internally threaded brass tube.

I suppose if you really wanted brass you could try and machine one up yourself,
Don't have the tooling. Nor am I anal enough about the appearance to want to go to those lengths - it's only going to be in a shed.

How about having a coupler electro-plated?
:mrgreen:

I could try to find internally threaded brass tubing, but then how square could I cut it by hand? It would be a bit pointless, if I was so keen on brass because it would look better, to then end up with wonky ends.

I'll probably end up using galvanised couplers - the metalclad boxes will be grey, and it is only a b****y shed.

Or, if I elect to leave the red sheath on the pyro I could cover the couplers with red shrouds.... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
SWA glands are substantially thicker than the wall of a coupler BAS, with only 3-4mm wall thickness further reduced by the thread being cut into it.

brass bushes do get squeezed in a little if the thread is tight, and some of the more recent ones have sheared the "head" sections off due to them being cheap and having the barest minimum of brass in them....

it shouldn't be too difficult to get some 18.5mm internal diameter tube with a 5-8mm wall thickness and then tap a conduit thread into it..

( to cut tube square, use a pipe cutter, if not for the actual cutting then it at least gives you a line to aim for with the saw and file.. )

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back