wiring garage in 20mm conduit - choosing singles?

GCarnegi said:
-- maybe garages are more susceptible to fire or fumes than living spaces.

I'm sure that's true. When we had a bedroom extension built above our garage, the ceiling had to have a minimum resistance to fire and so did the door from the back into the house. That made perfect sense when you consider that a garage is likely to contain many flammable materials, including a car with a tank full of petrol!

What's more, the walls of our garage are bare brick so channelled wiring was, if not impossible, at least impractical. Horizontal channels in the walls would weaken the structure and putting them in the ceiling would mean breaching the fireproofing that's up there. Surface mounting with conduit was the obvious choice.

PS: Just for you BAS, no smileys today.

Sponsored Links
Horizontal channels in the walls would weaken the structure
A generic concern.

and putting them in the ceiling would mean breaching the fireproofing that's up there.
You can use firestopping where services penetrate.

Surface mounting with conduit was the obvious choice.
It may well be the most practical solution, but I'm concerned about someone who thinks it is the only solution.

I'm sure there are other, neater solutions which I could have used T&E for, but when the plans say it has to be surface mounted, and the building control guys (when queried by telephone) sinsisted on NO wiring being inside ANY walls of the garage, including the wall between the garasge and the utility room (can't even have flush sockets on the other (utility room) side of that wall for some reason), then surface running of wires is the only conclusion we came to.

On top of that, one of the side walls is bare granite blocks.

I guess we could have simply stapled T&E to the walls, but for mechanical protection I prefer to have the wires run inside conduit.

Apparently, the reason for not having wires inside the garage>utility room wall is because the insulation is combustible (unlike the 6x2 joists that make up the wall Mr Building Inspector?). In fact, the statement on the plans was no "services" so the restriction doesn't just stop at wires. (When pressed, the BCO did say I could run copper pipes, but no plastic).

Yes, the BCO may be misinformed, or misguided, but I'd rather keep them on my side than start spouting legislation at them and get their back up.

Apparently, the reason for not having wires inside the garage>utility room wall is because the insulation is combustible (unlike the 6x2 joists that make up the wall Mr Building Inspector?). In fact, the statement on the plans was no "services" so the restriction doesn't just stop at wires. (When pressed, the BCO did say I could run copper pipes, but no plastic).
That's a load of rubbish - modern insulation is not combustible - also electric cables can quite happily be fitted in or be completely covered by insulation - provided their current carrying capacity is reduced accordingly.

Sponsored Links
What colour would you make the switch wire of a 2-switch setup, when wiring singles in conduit? Yellow, red? Is there a regulation for that in the new colours?
You should use the brown, black and grey plus sleeved earth for a 2way switch setup.
You should use brown sleeving on the black and grey where appropriate.

What's wrong with just single browns for the 2 way switch wiring?

sparkwright said:
What's wrong with just single browns for the 2 way switch wiring?

Of the three wires required, I would reserve brown for the permanent live. Whether or not the other two need to be different is a moot point but, with the modern scheme for two-way wiring, it's helpful to be able to identify the ends without resorting to continuity tests. :) :) :)

Free Dragon's Den Idea #4:

Singles with letter/number IDs printed on the insulation.

I was thinking something similar yesterday. a device with a printing wheel / roller on it that prints text on a cable /wire as gets pulled off the reel.

images

:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back