singles in conduit?

for what its worth id be doing this job in twin n earth. get the impression your sticking to what your used to coljack (no offence meant) :LOL:

ever heard of 'stealth ordering'....... think about it. ;)

i mean are you sure theres no t + e circuits at work that desperatly need rewiring? ;)

Sponsored Links
Thankfully conduit systems in houses was dropped years ago. If I were you I would sell the conduit on E-bay and buy some T&E.

Pensdown said:
Thankfully conduit systems in houses was dropped years ago.
And the Lord said to the sparks "bring forth your untidy wiring practices and ratsnests, throw your T&E to the wind and let it rest where it lays, Be joyous that the job took 2 mins instead of days to complete, just think what all that spare time can do to idle hands".
Devil to God: "Thanks Mate!".

tim west said:
ColJack said:
why wouldn't you buy a house that has conduit?i think it's much better than T+E.

no more ripping up floorboards to re-wire
likely because you are talking to the uninitiated on here?

I am far from uninitiated.

Conduit and trunk has it's place, but it's not in a house - in your garage, go for it.

This re-wiring argument has no solid grounds. By the time you want to re-wire, you are going to want to move stuff around - the conduit may be too small - wiring methods may have changed.

Pointless IMO.

Agree with dropping lengths to add datacomms at a future date, as long as you know where they are likely to be needed.

Sponsored Links
Lectrician said:
Pointless IMO.
Fair enough that's your opinion , not mine. One thing it saves all that clipping and makes for an easier threading of cables through walls or ceiling, suppose you cannot gain access to a loft, with conduit you don't need to.

Do you, or anyone you know or even a neighbour use a hearing aid?

The reason I mention this is because cables generate electrical fields which can be picked up by hearing aids. Where Twin and earth is used the two cables with opposing current flow cancel this effect out. This also applies to cable drops to light switches where the cables although both live are flowing in the opposite direction.

Install singles and the "buzz" will be picked up by people using a hearing aid. A friend of mine designs induction loops and has had on occasion to tell his customer he has to get the building rewired because it has been run in singles.

Just a thought.

Don't see much mileage in that. I have two hearing aids & have never had a problem with them buzzing. Ever.

I have been wearing aids since 1997.

stem said:
Do you, or anyone you know or even a neighbour use a hearing aid?

The reason I mention this is because cables generate electrical fields which can be picked up by hearing aids. Where Twin and earth is used the two cables with opposing current flow cancel this effect out. This also applies to cable drops to light switches where the cables although both live are flowing in the opposite direction.

Install singles and the "buzz" will be picked up by people using a hearing aid. A friend of mine designs induction loops and has had on occasion to tell his customer he has to get the building rewired because it has been run in singles.

Just a thought.

One single current carrying cable should not be installed in conduit anyway.A neutral or conductor carrying current in the opposite direction should be installed to cancel out induced circulating currents.

Don't even get them started.....they will be using steel conduit for screening next... :LOL:

I can't see it being a problem with either sheathed cables or singles in conduit as long as 'flow and return' are kept together, its not the type of wiring system that matters but how you install it.

Can you ever hear ring final circuits broken on one of the live conductors, Secure? Becuase the balence in the circuit will be shot to pieces because the current in one will divide up according to conductor resistances, and the other one on where the break is, I'd expect the effect to be worse if the break is near the orgin?

securespark said:
Don't see much mileage in that. I have two hearing aids & have never had a problem with them buzzing. Ever.

I have been wearing aids since 1997.

It's rare but can happen where "singles" are used. It would only be picked up when you were using the "T" Telephone or induction loop setting.

See item 11 on the following link

http://www.ampetronic.com/info/keyissues.php

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back