singles in conduit?

er no, try again

if he his above said wall the area above must be at least m to allow for height of conduit, ok mabe if lucky for ground floor, but not upstairs, hence having to bend onduit to get it to go down hole.

op clearly said poke it down hole (avoids chasing) so to do this you would need to bend it to overcome the short distance between roof and wall, the op realised this way before you did, and that is partaly why they are going for plastic

Sponsored Links
er no I think you need to re read his posts where he clearly states that he'd have no problems but goes on to state that he will use plastic as an where needed for access, that said a good spark should be able to manouvere a steel conduit to virtually anywhere he needs, many a time i've had to cope with tight spaces but a little thought goes a long way.

Waste of time, money and resources.

Tubing it all up as a 'sealed' system for singles will not make a future rewire easier - possibly the reverse.

In ten years time do you think all the cable will have failed, fallen to bits or perished? If the cable does, I bet the conduit will have too.

Also, during a rewire, it is VERY common to move points to where you need them, add extra points, altering the switching arrangements etc.

Things change over the years, and you can guarantee that the conduit will not be in the correct locations when you come to rewire.

Dont be a skinflint, and fork out some money for some cable. 4 rings sounds OTT aswell - consider 20amp radials for smaller rooms.

Are you going to install a busbar chamber, panel board, CT metering and unusually sized bonding aswell :?: :LOL:

Lectrician said:
In ten years time do you think all the cable will have failed, fallen to bits or perished? If the cable does, I bet the conduit will have too.

Also, during a rewire, it is VERY common to move points to where you need them, add extra points, altering the switching arrangements etc.
Conduit has a far greater lifespan than cable insulation if installed correctly, ie you wouldn't install black enamel in a damp location.

Insofar as moving points, I did state that forethought was needed but also it isn't too hard to move points in a stud wall anyway.

Sponsored Links
ricicle said:
Could be nice in theory if all done well but a lot of overkill and work for little reward!
depends on whether the work is being done for oneself or you are getting paid well in doing it for someone else ;)

tim west said:
ricicle said:
Could be nice in theory if all done well but a lot of overkill and work for little reward!
depends on whether the work is being done for oneself or you are getting paid well in doing it for someone else ;)

does this answer your questions?

ColJack said:
I am going to re-wire my flat at some point since the existing setup is dire..

............since I'm an industrial sparky, I have access to trunking and conduit .....

materials would be for free.. T+E would cost me..

each room will be done as and when i get round to decorating so it's easier to do one ring for each room...

as everyone seems to get more and more tech each year it won't be long before one 32A ring for upstairs and one for downstairs is not enough..

already kitchens have their own..

in the lounge i have...

dvd player, dvd/hdd recorder, tv, satelite, playstation, cable modem, wireless router, hi-fi system, answer phone, electric "fire" ( hot air and pretty lights ), lights for display case.

in the kitchen i have...
all the regular kitchen stuff..

in the back bedroom i have..
computer, monitor, printer, tv, dvd player, hi fi system, shredder, laminator, desk lamp, camera charger, psp charger, mp3 charger, portable air cooler in the summer.....

in the main bedroom i have..
tv, dvd player, clock radio, hair dryer, 2x bedside lights, cordless phone charger, mobile charger...

somewhere in the house i also have my laptop charger plugged in..

it all adds up so that's why i'm gonna put each on it's own ring..
i would put the kitchen and lounge and bedrooms on their own anyway so it's only 1 extra breaker and a bit of cable..

20A radials are fine for all rooms except the kitchen where I would consider a 32A radial.

Those items you list will never amount to 20amp, let alone 32.

In this day and age, you are right, technology is changing fast.

But so is the way we use energy.

I feel you want to wire your home in conduit as its the only way you know how. I would hate to buy a house that had been rewired in that way, weather it was done well or not.

How are you getting this stuff for free? I can't see any company willingly giving out enough stuff for a rewire - a new socket maybe!

conduit, boxes and such i already have from being last on site for several jobs with one firm.. they just said skip what was left as it would cost more to send someone down to collect it and the extended hire of container.

cable, my company regularly throws out cable rolls that have 10-15 metres left on them because they are too short for the jobs, so i have been collecting it for a while now..
i might have to buy one set of 2.5 singles for the legs to the rings.

why wouldn't you buy a house that has conduit?
i think it's much better than T+E.

no more ripping up floorboards to re-wire

also going to be installing drops for future networking and tv etc...

ultimately i don't really see any problem with doing a house in conduit, it may slightly affect selling in either direction depending on if the buyer views conduit as a help or a problem but ultimately i don't think most buyers would even notice as long as its hidden.

ColJack said:
why wouldn't you buy a house that has conduit?i think it's much better than T+E.

no more ripping up floorboards to re-wire
likely because you are talking to the uninitiated on here?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back