singles in conduit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to re-wire my flat at some point since the existing setup is dire..
the normal way to do this is obvoiusly twin and earth..

since I'm an industrial sparky, I have access to trunking and conduit as well as large quantities of "tri-rated" single cables..

is it allowed to wire domestic in singles in conduit???

this would allow me to use centralised JB's to make inspection easier as i intend to board out the loft..

it would also make future re-wires easier..

Sponsored Links
no reason, other than it will look (insert word here)

also as you know you can't easily add an extra socket if its in condiut, also bad selling point for same reasons

breezer said:
also as you know you can't easily add an extra socket if its in condiut, also bad selling point for same reasons
just because a socket is supplied by conduit doesn't mean someone can't spur off it in T&E

of course you don't want steel conduit on show so you'll have to bury it which will be a fair bit of work.

although what you say is correct, its going to look a mess, (could wven use pyro)

but what is the point of doing it all in conduit to then add T & E

also as i said bad selling point (if you can see it, or if buried as you said a fair bit of work)

summary

waste of time

Sponsored Links
studwork walls.. easy, just drill down 25mm from above using several extensions to get through the nogin in the center..

there will be plenty of sockets dotted about so they shouldn't need to add any.. ( I intend to put one ring for each room.. 4 rings.. )

you do not understand.

I am just wondering why you want to:

a) waste so much time

b) add no value what so ever

c) make life harder for some poor person who does want to add an extra socket

d) waste conduit where its not needed

I am getting the feeling (verry sorry if i am wrong) that you dont like T & E since you dont use it at work because you have no need to

I really do not see the point of installing conduit in a stud wall, and besides, yes you can drill down from above but how will you get the conduit to bend and straithen again (unless you have a 2m clearance i the loft?)

This is not a knock at your cometance, just at your logic

i want to use conduit and singles because it's free to me..

it's easy enough to get plastic to bend enough to get it in, and where there is not clearance to do so (ie outside walls) i can always use flexible conduit ( ie adaptaflex )

they will all go back to juction boxes where they will be either passed through to the next socket or used for connection for lights etc..

the reason is that i intend to board out the loft and don't want ot have 3 dozen trap doors just so i can run new cables in 10 years..

I don't see why it would detract from the value of the property to wire it in this way should i ever sell it, it makes any repairs or rewires easier than having to chase out walls to change light switch cables or socket cables..

most people now put in plastic conduit for drops anyway for exactly this reason..

it is no easier to add sockets to T+E circuits than to conduit so I don't see the validity in that argument either.. you still have to chase for new cables anyway.

surely it would even be easier as they can just pull new wires from an existing socket ( even using T+E if they wish, ) making them longer to reach whatever new socket they install and then the leg back to the next socket..

as for wasting conduit, i have several bundles sitting in the shed that were left over from various jobs I've been on that were destined for the skip..

plastic conduit, ugh.

palstic conduit will be of no use in the loft since it gives no mechanical protection, but you know that.

I am not saying that t & e will give mechanical protection

i also never said it will detrcat form the value of your flat / house, i said it will add no value.

besides i also said it will make it harder for some on to add sockets when you sell, i never said harder for you.

you are installing it toy your needs / requiremnst, not others

why not do the decent hting and install t and e and sell theconduit on ebay

i can see we're not going to agree on this..

i personally think it's a great idea but you don't..

I don't see that re-wiring in T+E will add any value to the house either.. so that argument is void..

from the ponit of view of any person adding a socket after, there are 6 wires into the socket either way and they will just either spur off or use terminals to extend one leg..

if it makes you feel any better i will be labeling the wires as in and out and will put a small cable tie to group them as such... :)

as you said, i am re-wiring it for my benefit, i was only asking if there was any reason according to the regs why i can't do it that way..

I've looked but can find none and was just after confirmation from someone who uses the "domestic" side of the regs more than I do..

yes you are right, lets agree to dissagree. :LOL:

but nope, go for it

i would still have put it on ebay though

IMO conduit (steel) actually makes for an easily rewireable installation if installed properly, yes the initial install may be messy(wall to be chased) but with forethought for the future it can make rewiring a doddle.

great idea, so how is he going to bend it to get it in? and he already said drill holes from above to poke it down.

breezer said:
great idea, so how is he going to bend it to get it in? and he already said drill holes from above to poke it down.
Using a pipe bender I presume?

fat lot of use that would be.

he said drill down from above to poke conduit in wall (cavity of said wall) once bent it will need to be staitened which you can do if its in a wall, which is probably partialy why he is going to use plastic

breezer said:
fat lot of use that would be.

he said drill down from above to poke conduit in wall (cavity of said wall) once bent it will need to be staitened which you can do if its in a wall, which is probably partialy why he is going to use plastic
why would it need to be straightened? If the hole is made big enough you can feed a double set down with ease, perhaps you havn't had much experience with conduit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back