I hate domestic sparks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have done loads of work in a cheese factory. 4x4 PVC trunk and 20 / 25 conduit mainly used.

All finished really, job done.

They needed a feed for wall hung elec water heater (45amp) to replace the gas one they where going to use - can't have a gas flue with in a certain distance of storage rooms etc etc apparently.

So, no wiring in for this, but easily done. It would need a rotary isolator on the wall adjacent to the heater, fed with a foot stab of conduit from the trunk. About 15m of cable around in trunk to DB. Easy. Could even bung in T+E in the trunk if this would be easier (don't want to buy reels of singles just for that).

So - we sub the job, as too busy at the moment.

Spark goes in and clips a 6mm T+E around the wall above the trunk, and sticks a PULL CORD on the ceiling, and then clips down wall, over the trunking lid and getting tangled with some pipework before getting to the heater.

Also decides he must bond anything he can see near to the heater - including things that move!

Couldn't believe it - a complete bodge.

I can recall the conversation on the phone - "It's a fairly easy job - all the conduit and trunk is up already"! So why decide to make such a mess! And why 6mm!

Sponsored Links
Doesn't sound like he had much of a clue! Why the bonding? Just clipped to the wall? Any photographs?

Sponsored Links
Yea, should have really - I have a spark going there on monday to redo the work before they start processing on Wednesday. Shall ask him to take some photos.

The bonding is not even clipped - just hanging on the floor under the metal tables.

I wont name and shame - that is a little unfare, but will certainly not be using them again - it is a real shame, as it was a kind of 'favour' - they had little work on, and work in our area.

There is no devide - But up in the North we travel only a few miles around our 'territory'. Down south you seem to travel many miles further from experience!

Where down south? Im close to Barnstaple.

I suppose you could call it a devide, I'm in Torquay (Torbay is not under Devon control).
I know what you Barnstaple peeps are like!

Ah - close to barnstaple ;) Im the coast side.....AND NOT IN ILFRACOMBE!

You guys, email each other, then you can discuss all the gory details!

gcresser said:
Wat cheese factory was it anyway?

When you see a new cheese on the shelf, you could know ;)

Don't like giving out loads of personal details online!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back