Sink making gurgling noise, after running water!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
Sounds like the effect of too long a waste run, put an anti-vac trap on it and that'll cure it

+1
.... or an "air admittance valve" just downstream of the trap. Same thing just separate.

Thanks fellas.

I attach some photos of the plumbing of the sink.

Spoke to the plumber/builder who installed this, and is working other bits in our renovated house, he told me it's normal for gurgling noise, his house also does the same thing!

I'm going to show you some pictures of the trap, to show if he had fitted right.

It's 1.5 sink and now doubt if he had fitted correctly.

Looked at Screwfix website for anti-vact trap, but they don't have Macalphine version.

Sponsored Links
I had this in our old flat. It was the waste length - I merely put a pinhole in the top of the pipe elbow, where it emerged outside the wall to break the vacuum - job done. Being in the top of the pipe and barely visible, it shouldn't let water out at all, as the pipe is never 100% full of water.

Well I suppose it's technically plumbed in correctly, it's a blººdy mess though, could be much neater. The gurgling is only normal if you do nothing to correct it, if his house does it and he doesn't know how to fix it I'd seriously question his competence.

If you're not intending to connect a washing machine or dishwasher I'd do away with that hideous waste kit and put in two separate vented bottle traps (McAlpine code A10V, IIRC) or better still two HepVo waste valves

On the far right - is that a condensate pipe from the boiler :confused: and how is it connected to the pipes under sink . London Plumbers , you gotta love `em ;)

Well I suppose it's technically plumbed in correctly, it's a blººdy mess though, could be much neater. The gurgling is only normal if you do nothing to correct it, if his house does it and he doesn't know how to fix it I'd seriously question his competence.

If you're not intending to connect a washing machine or dishwasher I'd do away with that hideous waste kit and put in two separate vented bottle traps (McAlpine code A10V, IIRC) or better still two HepVo waste valves

Thanks for the reply.

I found the A10V but not the IIRC from McAlpine, from website. Will these stop the gurgling noise? Don't like to replace the whole system, if If it's possible.

Sorry, IIRC is shorthand for "If I Remember Correctly", it's not a part code...

They'll stop the gurgling but it'll need a bit of re-piping under your sink (with a bit of luck he'll do it more neatly at the second attempt...)

Sorry, IIRC is shorthand for "If I Remember Correctly", it's not a part code...

They'll stop the gurgling but it'll need a bit of re-piping under your sink (with a bit of luck he'll do it more neatly at the second attempt...)

Thanks for your comment.

Now to rectify and simplyfy the plumbing, to create more storage space and to elimante that distracting gurgling noise. Do I now purchase two sets of McAlpine A10V for my 1.5 sink.

Looking at the picture, is that enough to connect the condensate pipe from the combi boiler and then connect to the main pipe at the rear to dispose the waste?

I suppose the money I spent in purchasing the existing kit for our plumber will go down the drain, as they say.

Either a pair of A10Vs or a pair of HepVo waste valves (the latter don't gurgle as they never retain any water). My preferred method is this, using two HepVo's...
IMAG0167.jpg

There's no condensate connection on that picture but you could fit one in behind the backboard. Failing that, a pair of A10Vs, a pair of tees and a few elbows would sort your sink cupboard out. You might need a mechanical waste fitting to connect onto your existing waste pipe, although if it was me I'd be digging that out and putting a fresh one in if possible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back