Gurgling sound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm on the top floor of an apartment. Next to the kitchen there is a communal area for pipes. That is making a gurgling noise. If I use the sink it makes it. It also makes a noise ramdomly. Assume people at the bottom are using the bathroom etc. But the noise is constant. Attached is picture.

The plumbers have said it is because of the osmavent 110 that is fitted there. It allows air in so we don't get nasty smell. While it allows air in it can make that sound.

I've tried to insult it. Assume if I insult too much it will block the vent and not allow air in and il have trouble with the smell.

Hope I've explained this well but not sure what I can do on this. There is nothing wrong with my sink. It's the communal pipes fitted in my kitchen which run down to the bottom of the building. This gurgling noise runs for hours and it's like water is boiling.

Attachments

• 20220123_224734.jpg
    20220123_224734.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 83
Sponsored Links
Don't insult your AAV- it's trying its best. They're sensitive things.

Certainly don't block its access to air.

Rather, try pulling it free of the soil pipe (it will pull out) and see if the noise stops.
You'll get some drain smell while doing this.

Then you'll know if the problem lies with the soil stack/drain, or is entirely unrelated.

You could try replacing it with e.g. https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-push-fit-air-admittance-valve-grey-110mm/78150 but I suspect that if the noise is constant you may have partially blocked or poorly-designed drainage.

OK thanks. If I block it by insulting what would happen?

Also, If it's drainage then assume I can contact Thames water?

AAV=air admittance valve. Clue in the name. Needs air to admit.

If english is not your first language you might enjoy looking up "insult" and "insulate".

Test first.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Andy, it was a typo. Maybe he is a racist.

I did contact the management company they said this is normal. Once the aav let's air in it makes that noise and there isn't anything they can do. I did propose they move the pipe higher up the building if it gets worse.

An AAV should be practically silent in operation, it certainly shouldn't be making a gurgling noise. Any reason there isn't a vent up through the roof? A soil stack in a multiple dwelling/flat/hi rise building should really be catering for positive pressure release as well and the stack should be designed for such. That would either be using a normal vented stack or a secondary vent design.

How many properties are in the building below you?

Thanks Andy and Madrab.

This is what it's at the top attached pic . I'm not sure why there's no vent at the top. I can ask for it to be moved up.

There should be around 6 properties directly below me and no one has complained of this problem. Seems like only me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220206-205806_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220206-205806_Gallery.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 58
If there are 6 properties below you and they're all on the same soil stack and if there is the potential for toilets as well as other outlets to evacuate into that stack at the same time then it should be properly vented to cater for positive as well as negative. That's a pretty basic design/installation flaw.
It just isn't right and shouldn't have been passed like that with an AAV on it.

Is it a new build?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back