Sink waste filling washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a plumber do a job for me a couple of days ago and since then the washing machine, when not in use, has been filling with approx 2 inches of what I can only assume is sink waste. The machine drains fine after use and is empty when turned off but the water is there in the morning or after a couple of hours of not checking it.

Is there a plastic non return valve I can put on, or just after, the trap ?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
I had a load of grief with a small job like that - And I was the plumber :oops: - turned out the connection from the hose to the trap had a hidden lump of plastic inside where the pipes joined , instead of a smooth Y junction - stupid thing got turned round and effectively scooped water up from the sink waste as it flowed past - I spent ages checking drain for blockages etc. :rolleyes: My advice - look inside the trap/hose connection area :idea:

Not sure if it makes a difference but there's no Y junction involved here as the washing machine is situated away from the sink and there's approx. 4ft of pipe leading to the washing machine.

I will check the piping though.
Cheers

The machine drain hose route should also turn upwards after the machine, and then down towards the trap.....maybe its dropped down or something?
John :)

Sponsored Links
The machine drain hose route should also turn upwards after the machine, and then down towards the trap.....maybe its dropped down or something?
John :)

There is still good height on the drain hose.
Thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Here's a photo of the job that has been done.

dscf0013d.jpg

Again;
Would this do the job of preventing the sink waste from entering the washing machine?
http://www.ukhps.co.uk/products/Mcalpine-T28M%2dNRV-1-1{47}2-Inch.html

And/or, should the trap for the washing machine be raised so that there is an incline from the sink ? Currently, it's level / slight decline.

Need to get this sorted asap.
Many thanks

Make sure that the drain hose is not pushed right down into the water in the trap.

The hose needs to be looped up as high as possible to prevent back-syphoning.

Make sure that the drain hose is not pushed right down into the water in the trap.

Ah, OK. He told me to push it down as low as possible!
I'll try it, thank you.

Is it OK to seal the gap around/between the w/m drain pipe and the waste pipe with tape ?

You ought to have one of the inverted ‘U’ devices fitted. Washing machines normally come with one.
It holds the hose in place and negates the need to have the hose pushed in too far – as advised by your installer.

LLA220802.jpg

You ought to have one of the inverted ‘U’ devices fitted. Washing machines normally come with one.
It holds the hose in place and negates the need to have the hose pushed in too far – as advised by your installer.

Not currently. The washing machine is not new so that 'U' was misplaced long ago. I will be buying a new one this week.
Thanks

mysteryman, I'd like to thank you. This appears to have fixed my problem and in turn saved me some hard-earned £'s.

Your help is much appreciated.
Thanks very much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back