Sink waste, help needed please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

My sink in the kitchen has a feed from the washing machine for it's waste. I started to notice that the water was coming up in to the sink when the washing machine expelled it, it would then drop level slowly but not before leaving a terrible stink. I've checked the u-bend is empty, but when we swapped the old washing machine for a new one the waste pipe was full of stinking black gunge, yet the machine does not smell if you poke your head in. What I think is going on is that the pipe out of the building is narrowed from all the waste and there's like a coating of black stuff narrowing the pipe. I've tried LOADS of hot water but no joy, in the past this has been an issue that was cleared by the council bloke.

I had tried One Shot which after much pushing with a long stink did clear the pipe but the kitchen has been replaced since and that approach isn't easy now. Should I try one shot or are there any better options that don't cost a fortune, being a new pensioner I'm feeling the pinch on the old pocket.

Thanks

Paul..

Sponsored Links
If you are able to block the other side, where water exits the property, you can pour bleach down the sink and let it sit for a few hours. This will dissolve stuff that is in the pipe. If you are unable to block the water exit, pouring bleach down will still help a little. But most of the bleach will be wasted.

You can buy various drain unblocking gels. Some come as a two-section plastic bottle so you get equal measures that combine together to activate the process. I find it better if you can plunge the sink to remove any waste water in the trap under the sink before using the cleaner.
As DIY say, get as much water out as you can then pour some unblocker down the plughole. Leave it to do it's business for whatever time it says on the bottle. Then flush through with a bowl full of boiling water, (not forgetting to remove whatever you blocked the outlet with first)!

Thanks folks..The smell is bad but I just don't want it ruining the washing machine. When I try the unblock I'll mask off the washing machine waste connection, so its all heading down the sink waste pipe.

Sponsored Links
If you are fit and able, I would suggest removing the waste from the washing machine at the pump and giving it a thorough clean through as well.
I have done this in the past by passing a length of electric cable through, tying a rag to the end and then corkscrewing it out so the rag gets into the grooves of the pipe.

Sadly I have spine and other back problems stemming from falling off a roof on to a 2nd roof. Getting up and down from the floor is a nightmare. However, when I did the machine swap I did clean the waster pipe and got a mate to refit it. May ask a second favour from the guy. Just worried about the slow sink drain and the sudden rise of filthy water in to the sink.

But again, thank you for the help, very appreciated..

Paul..

Clearing any blockage or clogging is the first step, but the pressure from the washing machine dishwasher and sink all draining together is likely a cause of the standing water. The smell could be coming from the drain if the trap is syphoning. Best to divert the washing machine hose further down the waste pipe i.e. with its own access, or even fit direct into the soil pipe.

Blup

I don't use bleach at all and in my many efforts of clearing drain pipes, etc., over the years, I have always finished up using caustic soda which given time will dissolve all organic matter including you if you are not careful (use rubber gloves when handling it). You can get it on ebay and ASDA always used to sell it too. Caustic potash is even more powerful but I can't tell you where to buy it, maybe ebay.

Totally agree with Eccles re: caustic soda. It dissolves pretty much most organic matter. I bought some recently from Home Bargains. You'll find it where all the cleaning stuff is. Just over a quid a bottle I think. Definitely use rubber gloves and eye protection. One spatter of caustic in your mince pie and you'll be in agony for days.

I agree - caustic soda. Make up a solution with hot water and tip it slowly down the drain, followed up with more hot water. Do be careful with it though.

Hi folks, managed to get some caustic soda and have added to the drain...I didn't have a lot but let's see how it goes..Appreciate all the help..

Paul..

Caustic soda needs to be used correctly , must be mixed with cold water before use as crystals poured directly into a pipe will form a solid plug and block the pipes rather than cleaning them . Bleach is useless for clearing any solids it’s just strong disinfectant .

Please post some photos showing layout and connections of the waste pipe, and especially the route of the flexible hose.

Does anyone pour cooking fat down the sink, or wash up greasy pans?

OP, why dont you post a pic showing the undersink plumbing esp where the wastes for the W/M (& the D/W if you've got one) enter the unit walls and connect to the trap spigots?

As above, sometimes caustic soda might do the trick but I would be very cautious about strong chemical use - for your safety & any plumber who comes in later.

Usually the waste hoses can be suspect but occasionally its a gunged-up waste arm from the trap thats become involved.
That would involve drain clearing but just to be sure, after clearing the waste arm I would always run the, say, w/m on rinse with the hose disconnected from the trap spigot, & discharging into a basin or bucket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back