SIPs detailing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone!!

I've recently been looking into SIPs construction, i understand that most manufacturers supply and fit their bespoke prefab systems.

Has anyone ever used built their own SIPs? or fitted them?

I would love to get a chat on the go about the costs/benefits about this system, which by the look of things can't be beaten on build time...

What things need to be taken into account when estimating?

Sponsored Links
You can't make your own SIPs panels, apart from being impossible without the right equipment, making them would defeat the object. Apart from good thermal qualities the main purpose of using SIPs is to save time!

I see..Have you ever built with SIPs yourself?

Any info on footing details, floor details, connections? costs/m2?

PS. Thanks for the quick reply

Yes, it was very quick although that job wasn't a good example tbh as the rendering went wrong (workmanship not detailing) although that didn't really matter in the end as the developer went bust shortly afterwards! It had a complicated render system on battens externally to maximise the site which led to a very awkward detail round the base where a masonry plinth was (is) unavoidable. If I ever do again I would strongly recommend it have a masonry external skin as traditional timber frame. For new build houses some buyers will be put off by SIPs as its a (relatively) new and unknown technology. For extensions though it looks pretty good with the whole frame, walls and roof up and watertight(ish) in a day or two so huge time savings to be had. The next big time advantage is that the trades can get to work on the inside immediately whilst the external finishes are also commenced.

There are loads of SIPs design guides on the web, eg http://www.tek.kingspan.com/uk/pdf/standard_details_dec_2010.pdf

Sponsored Links
This is all great info!

The constituent parts are then, the panels themselves along with the spline timber connections and header/sole plates.

I've had a quote for £65/m2 for the wall panels...and £70/m2 for the roof panels...

But

How much would you say the additional timbers, fixings and connections would cost/m2?

I know it is so project specific but any 'real life' cost data feedback is priceless..

I think you'll have to be a lot more specific to get even very rough prices for that.

/hands baton to the builders .................

The detailing is not that hard and is just the same as timber frame

TRADA do an excellent book with all the necessary detailing

A SIP panel would be hard to DIY as you don't have the presses and [factory] environment

Costs are typically higher than traditional build, as the real saving is in the speed of construction

You could DIY timber frame panels and assemble these as per SIP, and just insulate afterwards

That resource material is brilliant, nice to see some details as opposed to marketing graphics.

As you say i need more detailed plans to get more detailed costs..

Any points that anyone got hung up on or hidden costs please put them up, i'm getting enough positives from the manufacturers...

The problem I see is not in the making of home made sips panels - which should be possible - but that BC would require a whole library load of performance testing and certification which you just wouldn't be able to provide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back