SIPs Garden Studio (aka 'Shed') Build Sequence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Father-Daughter project coming soon, and I would like some sequencing advice for after the SIPs structure is up. Up to that point, I think I'm ok. The SIP decision is made, so not part of the questions.

After the shed is up, I'm assuming I will have to...

Wrap in breather paper
Protect the roof edpm/felt; and dress the edges. advice welcome. Roof is pent with a 1:40 fall
Do soffits and fascias
Get someone to fit the 2 panel sliding door
Batten
Clad material TBD- advice welcome
Electrics in (pro)
Floor covering

Does that seem correct?

What comes first, soffits or batten n clad?

Anything else?

Thanks.

Pics Offset Door.pngScreenshot 2024-02-11 at 20.36.36.png attached of the building type

Sponsored Links
Yes get a breathable membrane on asap after the build - use something like this https://www.cwberry.com/novia-black-ultra-wall-breather-membrane-50-x-15-metres

Why do you want to get someone to fit the door? It'll cost a lot more £££. Go to your local door and window trade supplier and cost it up. The main thing with doors and windows is to get the frame in absolutely square and not twisted. Do that and the rest is just follow the fitting instructions.

I would clad first and sort the soffits afterwards. For cladding how about cement plank? https://www.cwberry.com/cembrit-cedar-plank smart, easy to fit with the right tools (you need a guillotine preferably to cut the planks to length and gecko gauges for setting). Once installed it's done - never needs treating again for a very long time.

Looks like you're going with simplysips.co.uk - I used their sips recently but not a kit. The main thing is to get the base right - absolutely flat - they are not forgiving. In my opinion you need to aim for no more than about +/- 3mm flatness, so use a laser. Get the base flat and it'll go up like lego. If the base is twisted you'll fight it all day.

If you are doing the base, remember to put a duct in so your sparks can pull the electrics in easily e.g. https://www.cwberry.com/naylor-black-general-purpose-cable-duct-90-bend - think about where you will want the mini Consumer Unit for the garden room

My recent build https://community.screwfix.com/threads/garden-room.256842/

Insulation is really good. We use this as an office during the day. No problem keeping it toasty with very low heating. Back end of last summer before it was finished we found sunlight through the doors kept it very warm.

Sponsored Links
I'm going to build a garden room and decided against a SIP and went instead for insulated metal roof panels.
You can make the entire building using just the same 80mm panel. Walls roof and floor.

Cutting it is just a circular saw. Water proof out of the box.

Hi All,
Father-Daughter project coming soon, and I would like some sequencing advice for after the SIPs structure is up. Up to that point, I think I'm ok. The SIP decision is made, so not part of the questions.

After the shed is up, I'm assuming I will have to...

Wrap in breather paper
Protect the roof edpm/felt; and dress the edges. advice welcome. Roof is pent with a 1:40 fall
Do soffits and fascias
Get someone to fit the 2 panel sliding door
Batten
Clad material TBD- advice welcome
Electrics in (pro)
Floor covering

Does that seem correct?

What comes first, soffits or batten n clad?

Anything else?

Thanks.

PicsView attachment 332818View attachment 332819 attached of the building type
I used tyvek housewrap on mine, it’s one of the best membranes

Be careful to detail the window openings carefully

I would clad the rear and RHS with either steel box profile or cement board as they are cheaper, quick to install and maintenance free. Then put your preferred decorative cladding on the 2 seen sides, I used sawn Siberian larch, some people prefer the cement board cladding.

Y agree Tyvek is excellent, but was going to be twice the price and the cheaper alternative still has all the BS EN. Agree steel box profile is good for unseen sides - exactly what I did - Cladco.

This is what I came up with
Size is 6m x 3m and panels come to <£3k
Metal SIP roof GR.png

Y agree Tyvek is excellent, but was going to be twice the price and the cheaper alternative still has all the BS EN. Agree steel box profile is good for unseen sides - exactly what I did - Cladco.

Yes it is more expensive, it’s about £120 a roll, I decided to use it as it wasn’t a great expense in the overall scheme but in my eyes is a critical weatherproofing element.

The weird thing about tyvek housewrap is that’s it’s very thin and crisp a bit like wrapping paper, but it’s also very tough.

it’s about £120 a roll
y for 100m roll! It wasn't so much the cheaper stuff was much cheaper - it was a 50m roll which was more than enough!

I'm going to build a garden room and decided against a SIP and went instead for insulated metal roof panels.
You can make the entire building using just the same 80mm panel. Walls roof and floor.

Cutting it is just a circular saw. Water proof out of the box.
Careful you don't end up with a sweat box!

y for 100m roll! It wasn't so much the cheaper stuff was much cheaper - it was a 50m roll which was more than enough!
yes its a shame they dont sell it in a size for smaller projects.

There is nothing stopping you from putting some cladding on the outside of the SIP metal roofing panels. On the top and bottom its not needed.

Ref the complaint about it being a sweat box. Why? Do you build wooden houses full of holes? If you desire holes drill them through the side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back