Garden Building - Couple of general questions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Just looking for some general advice really as I am at the planning/preparation stage for building a free standing games room at the end of my garden.

From what I can tell, the best option is to use SIPs for the walls and ceiling. I definitely want good thermal properties and want to be able to heat the room efficiently/cheaply, plus avoid it getting too warm in summer. So my basic plan is to try and pick up some cheap double-glazed windows and patio doors on Gumtree, and build walls and ceiling in SIPs with some sort of cladding on the exterior and board out/skim inside. Hopefully all straightforward enough!

The main thing I am a little unsure of is the base. I suspect that a concrete base is going to be best? I am looking at a total size of approx. 10m x 6m so this is going to be quite a large pad. I just need a solid base because I want to have a snooker table! What I can't figure out is whether I need a wooden sub-floor above the level of the concrete? (assuming I do go with concrete base of course). I'm assuming I shouldn't just use the concrete base as the floor? ie latex and carpet tiles straight onto the concrete?

Sorry if this is a very daft question!! I am extremely grateful for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Building regs will apply so that will determine the construction options.

Sponsored Links
That's not SIP's.

Maybe he is on about the Tea
IMG_8261.PNG

The rear and right hand sides were made that way. I just built a frame for the rest.

assuming its near a fence remember the need to keep it below 2.5m to avoid the need for planning permission

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back