What sort of base for garden studio (games room)...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I am just looking for some advice/thoughts/options on what sort of base I might need for a games room I am planning to build. The main purpose of the building is going to be for a full-size snooker table which obviously is fairly heavy and also needs to be nice and flat.

The footprint of the building is going to be 50-60 m sq. so potentially a pretty large/expensive base, but no point cutting corners I guess! At present the site (and the bottom of my garden) is just overgrown bushes, weeds and earth. So I have got to spend some time clearing and leveling the ground. But once its all level I was intending to just cast a big ol' concrete pad. I just have a few questions!

1 - Is a concrete base the best option?
2 - If I go with a concrete pad, how deep should I make it?
3 - Is concrete okay to go straight down on compacted earth?

Sorry this is basic stuff! Any advice would be very gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
1 - Is a concrete base the best option?
Always when in contact with the ground.

2 - If I go with a concrete pad, how deep should I make it?
3 - Is concrete okay to go straight down on compacted earth?
Depends upon the ground conditions and how long you want the structure to last. Removing all fertile matter is a must. A building of the size you are proposing will fall under LABC scrutiny so will need to adhere to reg's in any case. A timber superstructure will flex better than a masonry one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back