Tyvek house wrap/ metal placement for insulated shed build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am an amateur currently attempting a studio/shed build.
I am building a 12x9 foot insulated shed I have constructed a frame from 2x3 wood which I intend to fill with kingspan later, I plan to add 9mm osb to the outside of the frame then 75mm steel lined cold-room panels on top of that with Tyvek house wrap over that with 2 battens creating a 25mm gap then wood/barn style cladding for decoration purposes.
The cold-room panels are 2 sheets of steel (back and front) sandwiched between polystyrene.
I am aware that traditionally house wrap is placed over osb then batten then cladding, however I am very keen to add these recycled cold room panels to create a secure shed however I am concerned that adding the Tyvek house wrap in the above way will cause a build-up of condensation.
Can anyone please advise me to the best placement for the house wrap and in what order of layers if that makes sense.

Sponsored Links
Draw a section through the wall, as I can't visualise it. From what is written, it seems that interstitial condensation is a possibility. You need a drained cavity within the construction.

There would be no point in the 'housewrap' on top of the coldroom panels if all the joints are made well.
Are you getting these panels for free?

Sponsored Links
+1 though note that housewrap is breathable, and steel lined panels with well made joints aren't, so consider what to do with the inside from a vapour barrier point of view, if the shed is to be used for humid activities.

I can't see the benefit of a membrane on the steel panels. These panels will be a significant condensation risk, so in addition to a minimum 25mm cavity between the panels and the cladding, you need to think about how condensation running down the panels is dealt with at the bottom.

And as CJ says, make sure your vapour membrane on the internal face is properly installed and detailed, as any moisure vapour entering the frame is not going to escape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back